Seasonal Labourer 2 – Trail Crew
(Temporary Full Time Opportunities)
If you are civic minded and interested in making an impact on people and businesses on the beautiful North Shore, consider working for the District of North Vancouver.
Home to vast parkland and attractions including Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon and Capilano Suspension Bridge, the District is inspired by nature, and enriched by people. The District offers exciting professional development opportunities and a competitive total compensation package. This is an exciting time to join the District, as we embark on a range of initiatives to transform digital service delivery, customer experience, and our approach to climate action.
The Parks department is looking for safety minded and environmentally conscious staff that want to work as part of a tight-knit team in the District’s natural parklands. Primary duties for the summer Trail Crew include extended hiking into semi-remote locations to carry out trail maintenance and building projects. Works will include trail resurfacing and brushing, decommissioning unsustainable and unauthorized trails, repairing/rebuilding damaged trail features, and cooperating with other District crews in habitat restoration and arboriculture projects.
The successful applicant must possess:
- The physical and mental aptitude to work on a crew and learn new skills;
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in performing trail maintenance and construction tasks; along with ability to perform maintenance and construction tasks;
- The ability to carry out written and oral instructions, and exercise
- Skill in the operation of power and hand tools used in the work;
- The ability to deal courteously with the public;
- Physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy manual work in all types of weather.
The following knowledge and certifications will be considered an asset:
- Valid first aid training (Occupational First Aid Level 1 preferred)
- Valid Chainsaw Operator Technician certification
- Knowledge of local ecology and ability to recognize environmentally sensitive areas
- Relevant experience in short form report writing and site documentation
- Experience in carpentry and undertaking small building projects
We are looking for people that have a high school diploma and some experience in general parks maintenance and construction work, or have an equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence and an abstract that reflects a safe driving record is required. The wage rate for these unionized positions is $29.71 per hour based on a 40 hour work week. It is anticipated that these positions will start in early to mid May.
If you are interested in this position, and have a passion to serve people and the community, we would like to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter, resume and current dated driver’s abstract at https://careers.dnv.org. This position will remain open until filled.
We wish to thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
View Original Source Source