Seasonal Labourer 2 – Parks
(Temporary Full Time Opportunities)
If you are civic minded and interested in making an impact on people and businesses on the beautiful North Shore, consider working for the District of North Vancouver.
Home to vast parkland and attractions including Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon and Capilano Suspension Bridge, the District is inspired by nature, and enriched by people. The District offers exciting professional development opportunities and a competitive total compensation package. This is an exciting time to join the District, as we embark on a range of initiatives to transform digital service delivery, customer experience, and our approach to climate action.
Our Parks department is looking for safety-minded and responsible team players who enjoy good honest work that provides a solid sense of accomplishment. We are expanding our team and need temporary full-time labourers. Labourers are the starting point where our staff get on the job training which then puts them in a position to compete for other positions such as parks worker, trades gardener, irrigation systems worker, truck driver, equipment operator, carpenter, or crew supervisors. Many of our full-time staff began work as temporary labourers and it is an excellent opportunity to see if a career in public service is for you.
Labourers join a crew and perform many diversified tasks in several of the District Parks, including sports field and turf grass maintenance and equipment operation; trail and related structures construction and maintenance; horticulture and landscape maintenance; road median irrigation and street tree planting and watering. You will operate saws, brush cutters, chainsaws, and perform related forestry operations, ensure access to public buildings, patrol parks, drive a pickup truck and maintain records and reports.
The successful applicant must possess:
- The physical and mental aptitude to work on a crew and learn new skills;
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in performing routine maintenance and construction tasks, along with maintaining and constructing grounds, buildings and shrubs, trees and flower beds;
- The ability to perform a variety of grounds and maintenance tasks;
- The ability to carry out oral and written instruction and exercise some independent judgement;
- Skill in the operation of power and hand tools used in the work, such as back pack sprayer, cultivator, leaf blower, gas-powered weed eaters, power mowers and power saw;
- The ability to deal courteously with the public;
- Physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of heavy manual work in all types of weather.
We are looking for people that have a high school diploma and some experience in general parks maintenance, gardening and construction work, or have an equivalent combination of training and experience. A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s Licence and an abstract that reflects a safe driving record is required. The wage rate for these unionized positions is $29.71 per hour based on a 40 hour work week.
If you are interested in this position, and have a passion to serve people and the community, we would like to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your cover letter, resume and current dated driver’s abstract at https://careers.dnv.org. This position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis as positions become available.
We wish to thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
View Original Source Source