Requisition ID: 21518
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Quantity Surveyor will prepare cost estimates for various civic buildings and facilities from conceptual to implementation phase; assesses the status of projects with respect to approved budgets; provides cost control input at major project milestones; prepares final cost analyses on minor and major building projects; and reviews pro-forma costs for rezonings. The incumbent works closely with planners, real estate negotiators, facility planners, project managers and project coordinators. This position exercises considerable independent judgement, initiative and action within City and departmental guidelines and policies, under the direction of the Associate Director Facility Planning.
- Prepare preliminary and/or final cost estimates for the replacement, improvement and alteration work on a wide variety of civic buildings and new facilities
- Provide unit costs to assist departmental staff in the preparation of capital cost estimates
- Prepares cost estimates of capital works for capital budgets for City departments
- Work closely with property and development staff in Real Estate Services department, Facilities Planning department and planning staff in Service departments such as Community Services, providing review of complex re-zoning development pro-forma costs and making recommendations regarding costs on development applications; represents the City in investigating, quantifying and making recommendations on costs that enable Real Estate Services department to determine potential increases in land value, community amenity contribution and heritage density incentives through various form of development proposals
- Advise and liaise with city staff on social/cultural/housing policies and zoning/building by-laws cost implications to development applications
- Provide cost control input during the design stage by identifying, evaluating and recommending alternative designs and construction methods within established budgetary limits
- Prepare detailed final cost analyses on minor and major building projects; identifies and explains variances between actual and estimated costs, and other problem areas
- Compile and maintain comprehensive up-to-date records of unit costs on work
- Update job costs by comparing actual and estimated costs
- Prepare and maintain manual and computerized periodic project records, reports, and database
- Answer enquiries and provides costing and/or estimating assistance and information to other departments and consultants
- Provide assessments of cost implication premiums for various levels of construction LEED certified projects, Passive House and other; provides life-cycle cost analysis, also with regard to the inclusion of various GREEN Building technologies.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology supplemented by advanced technical courses in Building Construction, Project Management and Estimating, plus considerable related experience and experience in the use of cost estimating computer applications or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Certification or eligibility for Quantity Surveyors of British Columbia membership.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2020
Position End Date: November 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-030: $46.75 to $55.35 per hour
Application Close: October 11, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source