Requisition ID: 28862
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position is responsible for property negotiations involving the leasing, management, acquisition and sale of real property as it relates to the City’s immediate and long-term real estate requirements, and the support of City Council priorities and initiatives. This position will be working as part of the Real Estate Services team on the City’s portfolio of properties.
Working under the guidance of the Supervisor of Property Negotiations in the Real Estate Services team, a Property Negotiator II is responsible for preserving and improving the City’s real estate asset base through the marketing and leasing of City-owned space, regular rent reviews, proactive asset management, preventative maintenance and cost saving strategies and the recommendation of strategic property acquisitions and management initiatives. The incumbent will negotiate leases, acquisitions, partial takings and dispositions on behalf of the City, along with undertaking in-house real estate appraisals and valuations for a variety of purposes. Specific duties shall also include the negotiation of use clauses, material contractual terms and related matters, lease renewals, operating agreements, the preparation of budgets, operating cost reconciliations and recoveries, and analysis of market trends.
This position contributes to the management, administration and valuation of a diverse and intricate portfolio of commercial, industrial and residential real estate assets to ensure a sustainable market-supported revenue source to the City, while commensurately supporting the City’s public objectives.
The lease management duties of this position may be assigned a specific portfolio specializing in either commercial leases, or housing leases or non profit (cultural, social, daycare) leases.
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Urban Land Economics or related discipline or completion of a recognized certification program (appraisal option) and considerable experience in real property appraisal and negotiation work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eligibility for certification as an Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI), Certified Residential Appraiser or with the Real Estate Institute of British Columbia (RIBC), or an equivalent designation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of property valuation, current realty values, construction costs, market trends, major civic and private development projects, mortgages and leases.
- Ability to successfully meet and negotiate with property owners or their representatives and deal with tenants, realtors, business and legal representatives, contractors, architects, committees and the general public.
- Ability to perform complex appraisal tasks and to negotiate with property owners for the acquisition, expropriation, sale, development, lease and rental of land.
- Ability to prepare detailed technical reports related to all types of property and to prepare and monitor project budgets.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills to deal tactfully with property owners, tenants, realtors, civic staff, committees and the business community.
- Familiarity with current business software.
- Ability to perform work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to reconcile operating costs and recoveries
- Must be able to exercise sound independent judgement and handle a complex workload with changing priorities.
Drivers License and Record Checks:
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-030: $46.75 to $55.35 per hour
Application Close: June 6, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source