Requisition ID: 29696
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is an exciting opportunity to bring your real estate knowledge and join our dynamic team working on a large variety of high profile projects for the City. This position involves financial/proforma and feasibility analysis of development proposals and local area planning studies, negotiating property transactions such as community amenity contributions and heritage bonuses, conducting detailed investigations and research projects used in the formulation of important civic policies and representing the Department as landowner or technical advisor.
This position reports directly to the Manager of Property Development who in turn reports to the Associate Director of Real Estate Services (Development) and Director of Real Estate Services.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts financial analysis of development proposals for City and privately-owned properties and economic evaluation of City policies.
- Coordinates the proforma requirements and evaluates the submissions for applications such as transfer of density, heritage and amenity bonuses, zoning relaxations and other development and investment analysis.
- Negotiates with developers to secure community amenity contributions, agree terms for rental 100 projects and heritage bonuses.
- Confers with other civic officials, outside bodies, and key members of the real estate and development industry to identify conceptual valuation issues and determines appropriate appraisal and investment methodology/return measures for evaluating development/planning proposals.
- Represents the Department on various technical committees and as required attend Council and public meetings as landowner or technical advisor.
- Negotiates property acquisitions and markets surplus development sites. Prepares detailed public information packages for marketing/tendering properties including property data and terms of sale/lease. Responds to all development inquiries and evaluates submitted offers or tenders.
- The project management of the design and construction of commercial leasehold space in non-market developments on City owned land and work with consultant teams to optimize development potential on City lands.
- Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation in Urban Land Economics or related discipline and/or a Post-graduate degree in Business Administration.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in the real estate industry, including a minimum of two years working in the property development field is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Professional Membership in the Real Estate Institute of B.C, Appraisal Institute of Canada or the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of property values, the Vancouver real estate market conditions and trends, lending and development practices, development proforma analysis, valuation methodology and investment analysis.
- Ability to perform development appraisal tasks and to negotiate with property owners and developers for community and heritage bonuses, the acquisition, development and sale of land.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgement and independence in performing the work.
- Knowledge of the development permit and rezoning processes, functions of development related boards/panels, the City by laws (including zoning and development, ODPs, subdivision and parking), bonusing policies/methodology, etc.
- Knowledge of the activities of various City departments relating to property and development matters
- Ability to interpret and apply regulations and guidelines to analyze major development/rezoning applications and to recommend alternatives if problems are encountered.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and working relationships with members of the business community and with representatives of other civic departments and government agencies.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and Council Reports on property and development matters.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Able to articulately convey messages to internal groups and external stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and multi task under tight deadlines.
Drivers License and Record Checks:
- Ability to meet transportation requirements.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $48.78 to $57.7 per hour
Application Close: May 16, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source