Requisition ID: 25675
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Manager II focuses on the early stages of development of PEF (Property Endowment Fund – within the Real Estate and Facilities Management (REFM) department properties and VAHEF (Vancouver Affordable Housing Fund in the Arts Culture Community Services (ACCS) department properties. The emphasis is on the early stages of redevelopment projects, with an emphasis on long-term planning, site optimization and feasibility options that test land use and built form. The objective of this work is to find the best value and outcome and to inform the decision making process going forward. These decisions will inform deployment strategies and could lead to preparation of rezoning applications. Long-term planning ensures that the City meets its present and future development and service needs in the most efficient and financially sustainable manner, aligning with the City’s strategic goals. The Project Manager may also work with or lead project teams in the planning, design, and delivery of PEF, VAHEF, and other civic projects.
Working in support of and collaboration with Real Estate’s Senior Leadership Team and VAHEF Leadership and Development Managers, the Project Manager II will also be responsible for providing a high degree of knowledge associated with zoning, rezoning, planning tools and methodologies while providing leadership in negotiations with various departments and internal and external stakeholders.
- Focuses on the early stages of projects, with an emphasis on long-term planning, site optimization and feasibility options that test land use and built form.
- Oversees physical master planning, site planning, feasibility options that test land use and built form.
- Prepares rezoning submissions, reports and graphics, makes presentations to the Real Estate department as well as, to relevant Panels, including the Urban Design Panel, the Development Permit Board, City Council and in public meetings and sessions.
- Ensures that projects meet all the program requirements and are delivered within the approved budget and timelines.
- Assists Real Estate Staff in the negotiation of Amenity Bonus spaces, which may include review and analysis of proposals and liaising with the Law Department on the agreements related to these spaces.
- Represents the Department on City committees as required.
- Represents the City interest in meetings with external parties.
- Reviews legal agreement with consultants and recommends actions as appropriate.
- Reviews and recommend/approve invoices.
- Prepares project descriptions and/or conceptual plans to illustrate project requirements for project justification.
- Prepares project budget and Council Reports for approval by senior staff and Council.
- Acts as the City’s representative and liaise between consultants, clients and City departments in matters pertaining to projects program, design, construction and contracts.
- Manages projects to ensure that the program of requirements, including the City’s sustainability policies, is incorporated into the project.
- Reviews plans at various stages for conformity with the program of requirements, cost-effectiveness, and inclusion of later requests made through correspondence or meetings.
- Reviews and maintains project cost data and issue monthly reports as required.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Architecture and registration as a Professional Architect in the Province of BC.
- Project Management training/certificate such as a PMP designation and /or membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia would be an asset.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in professional experience in architecture and urban design or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD or similar drafting software, Sketch Up, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator etc.
- Considerable knowledge of City of Vancouver Planning, Rezoning, and Permit practices.
- Ability to utilize urban planning principles and urban site optimization
- Considerable knowledge of both institutional and non-institutional building design and construction practices.
- Considerable knowledge of sustainable building design and construction practices.
- Considerable knowledge of structural and non-structural design principles.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the City of Vancouver Planning processes, tools and methodologies
- Knowledge of the design and construction of civic buildings.
- Ability to project manage civic buildings and related facilities.
- Ability to prepare and manage capital budgets.
- Ability to prepare consulting agreements
- Ability to review, analyze and effectively critique building plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to deal effectively with architects, engineers, contractors, City Departments and the general public to establish cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate courses of action and prepare reports related to the same for discussion.
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete reports.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Results-oriented with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with tight time lines.
- Knowledge of the City’s set of business programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.
Drivers License and Record Checks:
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of BC, ability to meet transportation requirements.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2023
Application Close: June 11, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source