Requisition ID: 29740
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Section Head of Major Projects, this exempt position works in a small team of full-time permanent staff made up of civil engineers, project coordinators and support staff. The Project Engineer works with a number of branches in the department as well as interdepartmental staff, representing the department’s interests in large area development in the policy, rezoning, development permit and construction phases as well as government related development projects.
- Responsible for facilitating large area development in the policy, rezoning, development permit and construction phases and government related development projects
- Negotiates directly with developers, consultants and outside agencies to establish the City’s needs for developer related infrastructure improvements
- Implements rezoning and development conditions through coordinating the department’s review and preparing memos and reports for approval
- Responsible for instructing Legal Services and reviewing draft agreements to facilitate development, primarily for the purposes of securing development conditions for public works, rights-of-way, encroachments and options to purchase, while limiting risk and liability to the City.
- Manages the design, construction, and acceptance process for large-scale developer funded road works including financial account management
- Fosters the relationship between the City and the development/construction industry, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public
- Chairs meetings between internal staff, developers, and consultants
- Makes presentations to Council, Committees of the Whole, and advisory committees to Council
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Civil Engineering
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia. An experienced Engineer-In-Training will also be considered.
- Two or more years of related experience involving a broad range of engineering, operational, and administrative responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive background in the City’s land development process and relevant City by-laws
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the department’s role in the land development process
- Ability to effectively negotiate complex issues with developers in the best interest of the department, City, and taxpayers
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and influence others while respecting the sensitive and political challenges that impact decisions
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and processes with competing schedules and resources
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2023
Application Close: June 6, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source