Requisition ID: 29534
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Performs complex technical and administrative work involving the examination of complex building plans accompanying Development Permit applications for large structures to ensure conformance with the Zoning and Development By-law, Parking By-law, Official Development Plan By-laws, Protection of Trees By-law, Building By-law, and various policies and guidelines adopted by City Council.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Interprets and administers complex by-law regulations.
- Assumes a leadership role in providing advice to other staff as well as to a variety of applicants and members of the public with regard to interpretations of by-laws, policies and guidelines.
- Prepares a variety of written correspondence and reports, including for the consideration of the Development Permit Staff Committee and the Development Permit Board.
- Participates in pre-application meetings with other City process groups, owners, developers and design professionals to provide zoning analysis and policy input prior to the application stage.
- Monitors and manages a varied and heavy workload to maintain processing schedules.
- Arranges and participates in meetings with applicants and other City officials.
- Participates in on-going process improvements, including the development of an on-line permit processing system.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a certificate in Building Technology and sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and innovative in a leadership role in providing interpretive advice and guidance to staff, and in handling special projects
- Demonstrated time and project management abilities to meet deadlines and manage a large volume of work, with changing priorities, in a flexible manner, often under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to achieve and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public
- Ability to resolve conflicts between staff and the public on technical and process issues
- Ability to function as part of a team, while also having the ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Considerable experience in zoning administration and thorough knowledge of the Zoning and Development By-law, Building By-law, Parking By-law, and other related by-laws in interpreting relevant regulations and complex plans accurately
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment and make decisions for staff and applicants relative to the interpretation and intent of by-laws, policies and guidelines
- Demonstrated computer skills with working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, data base and presentation applications
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public using demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, in order to convey information and explain technical and procedural matters
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: May 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source