Requisition ID: 25853
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Working in the Renovation Centre which is part of the customer service-oriented Development & Building Services Centre, this position will focus on facilitating permit applications for small businesses including business licence approvals. This includes detailed review, coordination, and processing of development and building permit applications for compliance with various by-laws; and coordinating application review between various internal and external review groups, owners, and design professionals from the initial application stage to permit issuance. This position will report to the Manager of the Renovation Centre.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs technical and administrative work involving the examination of architectural plans accompanying Development and Building Permit applications to ensure compliance with City by-laws, policies and guidelines.
- Participates in pre-application meetings with other City processing groups, applicants, developers and design professionals to provide by-law, policy and guideline analysis and permit process input prior to application submission.
- Monitors and manages a varied and heavy workload to maintain processing schedules.
- Participates in data entry and compiling of permit documents and records.
- Performs data and records research from multiple sources such as property files and computer systems (PRISM, POSSE, AMANDA, IMBL, and VanMap).
- Liaises with Planners and staff in other City departments to provide a response or input into a project on behalf of clients around technical and discretionary design issues.
- As a team member in the Renovation Centre works with minimal supervision, supporting novice applicants through the permit process, and responding to enquiries in the Phone Centre related to pertinent By-laws and Council approved policies and guidelines.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a diploma program in Building Technology from a recognized technical institute, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to read drawings and to perform complex calculations with considerable experience in plan examination, and interpret and apply relevant by-laws, and policy in a consistent manner.
- Experience managing a large volume of work and meeting deadlines with ever changing priorities in a flexible manner, often under pressure
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable sections of the Zoning and Development By-law, Parking By-law, and other by-laws related to the work performed.
- Working knowledge of the Building By-law and related permit processes.
- Demonstrated time and project management abilities to manage a large volume of work with changing priorities in a flexible manner, often under pressure.
- Sound understanding of departmental policies and procedures involved in processing applications.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public using demonstrated written and verbal communication skills in order to convey information and explain technical and procedural matters, often with novice applicants and customers.
- Demonstrated computer skills with sound knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation applications.
Licence and Other Supporting Documents:
- A current and valid BC Drivers’ License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Please upload a copy of your transcripts
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2021
Position End Date: December 31, 2021
Positions Available: 1
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $34.98 to $41.29 per hour
Application Close: February 7, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source