Requisition ID: 25833
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Working in the Renovation Centre which is part of the customer service-oriented Development & Building Services Centre, this position performs technical work of some complexity involving the processing of moderately complex permits and/or sign permits. This includes additions to one- and two-family dwellings and their associated revisions, secondary suites, tenant improvements, field reviews, minor alterations and some fairly complex applications for compliance with the Zoning and Development, Building and Parking By-laws and other Council-approved policies and guidelines. This position will also co-ordinate and process sign permits including technical review for compliance with the Sign By-law. The position will report to the Manager of the Renovation Centre.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs data and records research from multiple sources such as property files and computer systems (PRISM, POSSE, AMANDA, IMBL, and VanMap).
- Participates in data entry and compiling of permit documents and records.
- Performs technical and administrative work involving the examination of architectural plans accompanying Development and Building Permit applications to ensure compliance with City by-laws, policies and guidelines.
- Administrative work in preparing correspondence and providing relevant information to the public.
- Answers telephone and counter enquiries from the public and design professionals related to the Sign By-law, Building and Zoning By-laws and related City procedures, and includes a weekly rotation in the department’s telephone center.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by related courses from a recognized technical institute, preferably a Diploma in Building Technology.
- Considerable related technical experience in building construction, as well as some experience in zoning administration and the ability to assess and interpret plans accurately.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous work experience in the construction industry or experience in a design office is desirable.
- Time and project management skills to meet deadlines and manage a large volume of work, with changing priorities, in a flexible manner, often under pressure.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and the ability to handle a sometimes high stress environment.
- Excellent communication skills are required in order to convey information to the public and explain technical matter in lay terms.
- Good writing skills. Must be able to demonstrate accurate keyboard skills and speed.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of City Building and Zoning By-Laws and who have completed Level I certification of the Building Inspectors Association.
Licence and Other Supporting Documents:
- A current and valid BC Drivers’ License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Please attach a copy of your transcripts to your application
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2021
Position End Date: January 1, 2023
Positions Available: 1
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: February 7, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source