Program Leader – Seniors’ Programs
Temporary Full-Time (35 hours/week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Recreation & Culture Department seeks a student to assist with seniors’ programs during the summer months. The responsibilities of this position include planning, organizing, leading and hosting summer day trips for adults 55+ throughout the Lower Mainland of B.C. onboard the City’s minibus. The student will work independently on day trips alongside a volunteer bus driver to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the participants. Tasks will broaden both knowledge and experience in planning, leadership, and interpersonal skills related to programs for older adults in a social and recreational setting. Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Completion of Grade 12 complemented by some related experience working with older adults, preferably in municipal recreational work, and some leadership experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience; preferred post-secondary studies in the areas of recreation, gerontology, education or related disciplines;
- Working knowledge of organized community recreation principles and practices including the safe and proper use of equipment and facilities;
- Ability to plan, schedule, implement and lead assigned recreational programs and provide guidance and assistance to volunteers regarding instructional duties and safe and proper use of equipment and facilities;
- Proficiency with standard office equipment and computer software including Microsoft Office programs;
- Sound knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic;
- Ability to develop, draft and maintain various types of promotional materials and publications with creativity, detail and accuracy and ability to prepare and maintain files, records, reports and related material;
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written and active listening and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, volunteers, program participants and the public, and to make a positive contribution to a team environment;
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service balanced with the application of best practices and organizational policies;
- Ability to prioritize workload and manage concurrent projects, to work independently, to perform tasks under periodic work pressure, and to exercise initiative and make decisions in accordance with applicable rules, regulations and policies;
- Possess valid first aid certification by appointment’s start date;
- Availability to work on days, evenings, and/or weekends;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license (Class 4 is considered an asset) with a demonstrated safe driving record by the appointment’s start date (please visit www.icbc.com for criteria regarding licensing);
- Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information and Vulnerable Sector Checks.
The City has applied for the Canada Summer Jobs grant and if approved, applicants must meet the grant criteria. Review the Government of Canada Summer Jobs Website for detailed information about the program.
The hourly wage for this position is $21.66 (2019 rates) with select benefits offered. The expected duration of this appointment is approximately twelve (12) weeks, beginning in May 2021. If your experience and education have prepared you for success and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, your current driver’s abstract, and a copy of your first aid certification.
Application Deadline: 4:30 PM, Sunday, February 21, 2021 Submit your application: www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs Recruitment Reference: 2021-10
Thank you for your interest. Please note only complete applications will be considered and only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted
View Original Source Source