Planning Technician 1
Temporary Full Time (up to 1 year)
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam offers meaningful career opportunities to make a difference within the local community. As the sixth largest city in BC, we are home to more than 150,000 residents. Our diverse municipality is a great place to work as it continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre. We envision a bright future in Coquitlam that we hope includes you!
Are you an early career urbanist, who wants to help shape the future of the City? The City of Coquitlam is currently recruiting for a temporary full-time Planning Technician 1 to join our team of professionals in the Development Planning Division of the Planning and Development Department. This is a CUPE 386 position.
Working with a Senior Planner, your responsibilities will focus on assisting with larger development projects, as well as processing less complex development applications. This work will include moderately complex technical and administrative work related to examining and checking plans and development applications for compliance with the City’s Zoning Bylaw, Official Community Plan and other relevant bylaws and policies. You will discuss your work with senior staff, clarify problem areas and make recommendations for revisions. You will provide a variety of detailed technical information, interpretation and assistance on development applications, bylaw requirements and related policies, to homeowners, developers, the general public, internal departments and external agencies. You will conduct research, prepare background material and prepare reports on various planning topics; participate in public consultation events; and provide assistance to senior staff as required.
The ideal candidate should possess a diploma or university degree in planning or a related discipline, supplemented by technical courses related to the work, plus sound related experience, preferably in a municipal government setting or an equivalent combination of training and experience. The ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Knowledge of Zoning Bylaw, Official Community Plan, Design Guidelines and the Local Government Act.
- Sound knowledge of Planning principles.
- Knowledge of research, statistical and analytical principles/practices.
- Sound knowledge of department, political functions, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Proven experience in customer service.
- Ability to interpret moderately complex technical information, policies and procedures and explain them to the public.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret various construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to conduct accurate and independent research in support of planning issues and be able to analyze, interpret and make recommendations based on information obtained.
- Ability to use software applications such as Adobe Creative Suite, Bluebeam, and Sketch-Up would be considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in written form, to prepare and present reports and maintain records.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
Good people make Coquitlam great, sign up for career alerts through our recruitment portal to stay up to date about opportunities within our team, or follow us on LinkedIn to learn more about how #YouCouldWorkHere too!
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 pm on March 10, 2021.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source