Planning Assistant III – Transportation Design Branch
Requisition ID: 24179
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Team Lead II, the Planning Assistant III is responsible for supporting public and stakeholder engagement on transportation projects across a number of areas including walking, cycling, transit and goods movement. The position provides technical and professional support to members of the branch and assistance with public and stakeholder engagement processes on a broad range of topics such as bus priority, protected bike lanes, greenways, parking policy and urban freight.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Researches, collects data and prepares analysis which forms the basis for decisions and recommendations by the Transportation Planning team
- Conducts and compiles policy research to support the planning process
- Prepares graphic material and written content for transportation projects, Council reports and presentations
- Assists with public and stakeholder engagement by booking venues, speakers, catering, and supplies; distributing materials to the public; and taking notes at events
- Collects, codes and analyzes survey feedback and summarizes for internal and external audiences
- Maintains and updates records and files
- Responds to technical, written or oral enquiries from other departments and the public
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, supplemented by courses in Planning or Public Policy, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience in facilitating public and stakeholder engagement plans
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of transportation planning and design concepts, standards, and guidelines from agencies such as the Transportation Association of Canada (TAC), National Association of Transportation Officials (NACTO), and other relevant bodies
- Sound knowledge of layout work, report design and reproduction and of graphical presentation of statistical data and planning projects
- Strong interpersonal and communication sills (written and verbal)
- Excellent consultation, research and analysis skills
- Ability to read and interpret transportation plans and specifications
- Ability to establish relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to exercise professionalism, discretion and tact
- Ability to perform moderately difficult statistical survey and analysis work
- Ability to prioritize and organize work, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Proficient in the use of software applications such as MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2021
Position End Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: January 24, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source