Requisition ID: 26914
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planning Assistant will provide technical and professional support to the Rezoning Centre, with a focus on supporting the processing of rezoning applications and related functions, as well as contributing to a variety of rezoning and policy initiatives. The emphasis will be on collecting and analyzing information, developing information graphics to communicate complex ideas, and assisting with public consultation and public hearings.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responding to development and rezoning enquiries from the public.
- Organizing public consultation processes and facilitating small group discussions.
- Preparing mailing lists, notifications and other related documents.
- Receiving and summarizing public comments.
- Maintaining web pages and social media accounts.
- Preparing presentations, public consultation information, and other graphic materials.
- Providing support for public hearings.
- Collecting data and performing research and analysis.
- Completing basic built form analysis such as shadow and massing studies.
- Performing other related duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
University degree in Planning and some planning experience or related university degree with experience related closely to the duties involved or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public, and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgment.
- A proven ability to self-manage workload and meet time demands (e.g., prioritize tasks, communicate expected time frames for the delivery of items with staff and request help when needed) is a requirement.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal).
- Demonstrated research and analytical abilities, with an aptitude in the legal and technical aspects of planning work.
- Strong graphic skills are a requirement, with a working knowledge of Sketch Up (3D Software), MapInfo, Microsoft Office Suite and graphics programs (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite).
- Working knowledge of zoning and land-use planning and regulations, land development economics, and urban design principles is required.
- Familiarity with rezoning processes is preferred.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: January, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: March 19, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source