Requisition ID: 29097
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Planning Assistant III position would provide technical and professional support to the Urban Landscape Development Team undertaking permit review work and policy development.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performing data analysis for permit processes.
- Responding to permit application enquiries from the public.
- Facilitating small group discussions, receiving and summarizing public comments, and maintaining web pages and social media accounts.
- Organizing workshops for industry outreach and engagement.
- Performing mapping work for ecosystem indicators and policy development research.
- Collecting data and performing analysis for green site typology work.
- Performing other related duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent in Technical or Vocational school supplemented or including courses in drafting or graphics
- Planning Assistant II experience or technical work experience of a planning nature
- University degree in Planning, Environmental science, Landscape Architecture or related university degree would be considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public, and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgment.
- Proven ability to self-manage workload and meet time demands (e.g., prioritize tasks, communicate expected time frames for the delivery of items with staff and request assistance when needed).
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated sound research and analytical abilities and experience, and an aptitude in the legal and technical aspects of planning work.
- Working knowledge of zoning and land-use planning and regulations, and urban design principles is required.
- Sound knowledge of MapInfo/GIS, Microsoft Office Suite and graphics programs with strong graphic skills (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) is required.
- Familiarity with Landscape review processes is preferred.
A current and valid Class BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record is a requirement of this role.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: April 25, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source