Requisition ID: 29095
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planning Assistant works as part of the Housing Policy team that is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the Housing Vancouver Strategy (2018 – 2027) and other affordable housing policies and programs including the management and analysis of relevant research and data. The PA III will provide technical support (datamanagement, mapping), socio-demographic research and analysis, and assist in organizing and implementing public engagement events to support achieving the goals and targets outlined in Housing Vancouver.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for providing a range of professional and technical services to support the work of the Housing Policy team. You are responsible for:
- Supporting the work of the team in moving project milestones and policies forward to implement key actions identified in the City’s Housing Vancouver Strategy (2018-2027), 3 Year Action Plan and Affordable Housing Delivery and Financial Strategy
- Undertake technical work, including policy research, developing and maintaining databases and records, and collecting and analyzing large data sets to support the work of the team
- Creating graphics, maps, charts and other materials to convey complex ideas and analysis in an accessible way
- Assist in the development of the Housing Vancouver Annual Progress Report, including data collection, demographic and housing market analysis, mapping and graphic design
- Developing engaging presentations and documenting meeting outcomes clearly
- Coordinating public consultation processes, including organizing and participating in public meetings and events, coordinating logistics, and preparing informational and graphic materials
- Analyze and summarize public comments and feedback, and respond to enquiries from the public and housing stakeholders
- Completing other duties and responsibilities as assigned in a timely and professional manner
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate will have a university degree or technical/vocational school diploma in planning and some planning experience or a related university degree with experience related closely to the duties involved, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated interest and experience in affordable housing would be an asset.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate complex concepts into accurate,easily readable formats
- Demonstrated research skills and abilities in reviewing and evaluating public policies including experience collecting, analyzing and managing a variety of data sources
- Ability to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public and complete assignments using sound professional techniquesand judgement
- Ability to juggle priorities and meet prescribed deadlines
- A good working knowledge of, and experience with ArcGIS and excellent knowledge in Microsoft Office (Word,Excel and PowerPoint) and Adobe Creative suite (Illustrator, In Design, and Photoshop)
- Experience working with external data sources (e.g. Statistics Canada, BC Stats, BC Assessment, CMHC) is an asset
- Familiarity with the City’s housing policies and programs, land use, and area planning policies and regulations is an asset
Driver License and Record Checks
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory driving record is preferred.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: September 1, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: June 11, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source