Requisition ID: 27076
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Development Planners, the Planning Assistant III is responsible for performing technical office and field work, coordinating materials for panels and meetings, and producing a variety of basic graphics for the Development Planning team which includes the Urban Design, Landscape and Heritage groups.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Set-up and take-down for bi-weekly Urban Design Panel, First Shaughnessy Design Panel, Development Permit Staff Committee and Development Permit Board meeting
- Various basic background research assignments related to development planning and other projects undertaken by the Development Planning Division
- Field photography related to buildings, views and streetscapes.
- Graphic work including:
- computer generated maps for reports
- computer generated 3-D massing models for urban design analysis and illustrations of urban design concepts
- photos, graphs and other graphic products for inclusion in design guidelines and other documents
- graphic design and layout for illustrated documents, presentation boards, brochures and other visual work
- photography for inclusion in documents and presentations
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Technical or Vocational School in Planning, Architecture or Landscape Architecture
- Sound experience as Planning Assistant II preferred or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- 3D modelling and graphic art courses (computer based graphics, graphic design, commercial art or photography) will be given preference
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal, written, and visual communication skills, including the ability to translate complex concepts into accurate, easily readable formats
- Strong computer and graphic skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Autodesk (AutoCAD or Map3D), Adobe Creative (Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator), VanMap, and Sketchup or similar modelling software are essential
- Experience with Autodesk Infraworks or Rhino is preferred
- A working knowledge of, and experience with GIS software (e.g. MapInfo, ArcGIS) is preferred
- Photographic skills for presentation boards and slide shows including familiarity with digital cameras are an important asset
- Ability to function as a team player while operation individually with minimum supervision
- Ability to manage priorities and meet prescribed deadlines
- Ability to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public and complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgement
A current and valid Class (appropriate class for position) BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: December, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: March 14, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source