Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Planning Assistant 2
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week
$56,595 – $66,568 (2019 rates)
The Development Services Department requires a Planning Assistant to perform a variety of support duties in a team environment. Our successful candidate will play a key role in supporting public engagement and communications activities for all Planning Division projects and functions, including related to general regulation and policy information, development applications, bylaw changes and policy projects. You will also provide customer service excellence in answering inquiries from, and providing information to the public and City staff about policy projects and more complex development applications; support responding to general inquiries on zoning and other regulations, bylaws and policies; provide technical and administrative support to the Planning Division on City-wide, neighbourhood and subject specific policy and development projects; and research community planning issues and prepare background reports.
- A degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Applied Planning, Community Planning, Geography or other related field, plus sound related experience, preferably in a Municipal Planning Department, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Knowledge of the relevant sections of the Local Government Act, the Zoning Bylaw, the Official Community Plan, and other regulations, bylaws and policies applicable to the work.
- Sound knowledge of departmental functions, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Some knowledge of basic planning principles.
- Ability to effectively use a wide range of digital and other tools to support public engagement and communications. Preference for those with Bang the Table and Zoom experience.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret various construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to employ contemporary service excellence principles and provide a variety of detailed information, assistance and interpretations when liaising with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to perform research in support of planning issues, to prepare concise reports and to maintain records.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision and to provide guidance to junior staff as required.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively use the MicroSoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Outlook), graphics software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Picassa and Bridge), as well as Tempest. Preference for those with GIS and/or CAD experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s license.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #21-15, by February 4, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e- mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
View Original Source Source