Requisition ID: 25558
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This is a senior professional position primarily involved in leading integrated infrastructure and land use plans, and participating in the management of the Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability Special Projects Office (SPO). The role serves to strategically advance and manage various aspects of the Division’s work program encompassing community planning, plan implementation, development of policy statements and review of rezoning applications.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The work involves the scoping of a variety of projects, some of which are introduced to Council and often need to be addressed using existing resources within a tight time frame. You will exercise independent judgement in conceptualizing project work, developing and managing work programs, planning and implementing public processes, and managing staff and consultants. The work will be carried out in consultation with internal and external stakeholders including other city departments, governments and agencies, community residents, landowners and business interests.
You will be responsible for report writing, presentations to Corporate Management, City Council, other governments and agencies and representing the City to outside agencies, delegations, and other external functions.The duties include superior interpersonal skills including facilitation, problem resolution and mentoring.
Examples of projects to be undertaken by the Vancouver South major projects group in the near future include: Development of the Broadway Plan, development of the Central Waterfront Plan, and implementation of the Northeast False Creek Plan.
Fluency and ability in all areas of the work program of the SPO including community plans, policy statements and rezoning is necessary.
Education and Experience:
- A university graduate degree in planning or a related discipline
- Proven working experience at a professional level (minimum of 10 years experience) in a leadership capacity
- Preference will be given to those with extensive and progressive municipal experience
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in all of the following areas is highly desired:
- Developing policy and regulation in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Scoping and developing work programs and managing complex planning projects
- Developing and carrying out public processes
- Preparing and presenting reports which clearly communicate complex ideas
- Ability to lead and participate on teams involving diverse interest groups using facilitation, conflict resolution and interest based mediation skills to achieve mutually agreeable solutions
- Managing and mentoring staff for greater responsibilities
- Working in a changing environment, while delivering complex projects on time and on budget
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: December, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-034: $55.35 to $65.47 per hour
Application Close: March 28, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source