Requisition ID: 22454
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is a senior professional position that will lead a staff team responsible for managing rezoning applications and major projects city-wide, and supporting the supervision of the Rezoning Centre. The position will oversee the analysis and evaluation of land use and development proposals and bringing those applications forward for consideration by the Vancouver City Council. While the specific area of expertise of rezoning is necessary, competency in related disciplines, such as urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, sustainability, and/or housing policy is highly desirable.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position directly supervises a staff team responsible for the analysis, evaluation and coordination of rezoning applications through a multi-departmental review. The work is complex and challenging, often with demanding timeframes and competing priorities. The successful candidate will need to possess sound judgement, strong time management and consensus building skills. The ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including other COV divisions/departments, applicants, consultants, business groups, other levels of government, as well as community members and residents is essential.
As team leader, the successful applicant will exercise independent judgment in conceptualizing project work, developing and managing work programs, and supervising staff. Responsibilities include report writing and editing, public engagement consultation, and presenting to the City Council and the public. The duties require excellent interpersonal skills including facilitation, problem resolution and mentoring.
The successful candidate can expect to provide guidance and direction to staff managing case files that involve multiple policy objectives such as land use and development requirements, heritage retention, affordable housing, landscape, environmental and sustainability goals, as well as the consideration of community benefits. The development and assessment of land use policy, including rezoning policy and district schedules is also an aspect of this work.
Education and Experience:
- A university degree in urban planning or a related discipline with extensive and progressive municipal experience at a professional level (minimum of 10 years of experience is preferred); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of City of Vancouver land use policy and regulatory frameworks is required.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge in all of the following areas is highly desired:
- Land use regulation and policy in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Scoping and developing work programs and managing complex projects and public processes
- Preparing and presenting reports which clearly communicate complex ideas to audiences that do not possess technical expertise
- Ability to lead and participate on teams involving diverse interest groups using facilitation, conflict resolution and interest based mediation skills to achieve mutually agreeable solutions
- Managing and mentoring staff for greater responsibilities
- Working in a changing environment, while delivering complex projects within performance targets and deadlines.
Driver’s License and Record Checks
- A valid BC Driver’s license is preferred. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-034: $55.35 to $65.47 per hour
Application Close: November 8, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source