Requisition ID: 31242
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is a professional planning position that involves reviewing rezoning applications throughout the city, along with contributing to the development of zoning, policy and guidelines. The work is complex city-building in the investigation and development of solutions with regard to planning matters. The current focus is on rezoning, however knowledge in policy and implementation is also expected.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position will report to a Senior Planner within the Rezoning Centre, Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability. The position is responsible for leading and coordinating the work of an interdepartmental team of professionals and technical support staff. The work will require interaction across Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability and other City Departments. Other key contacts include the public, developers and their consultants.
- Responds to public enquiries regarding rezoning potential, and reviews, evaluates and processes rezoning applications from enquiry through to enactment.
- Supervises professional and technical support staff.
- Establishes collaborative working relationships with community organizations, businesses, residents, property owners, developers and other stakeholders.
- Manages the public consultation process; designs, attends and facilitates community events that could include community forums, public engagement, workshops and meetings (including weekday evenings and weekends).
- Co-ordinates and synthesizes input from internal and external review groups and members of the public.
- Advises and negotiates with applicants.
- Presents complex material and information to staff, the public and City Council.
- Prepares rezoning and other complex reports for Council; drafts proposed by-law amendments.
- Prepares and manages work programs.
- Advises on and prepares policy, zoning and guidelines for area planning initiatives.
Education and Experience:
- A university degree in planning or a related discipline; and
- Minimum of five years professional experience in the planning field in either municipal experience undertaking rezoning and development application review or private sector experience preparing rezoning and development applications, preferably supplemented by supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of urban planning, architecture or related fields of study, and a working knowledge of other subjects applicable to planning work.
- Considerable knowledge of several of the following as they relate to planning: urban design, social sciences, law, economics, development practices and municipal finance.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of governmental structures and systems.
- A working knowledge of the City’s Zoning and Development By-law, Official Development Plans and Policies and Guidelines, plus a broad knowledge of City services, programs and processes.
- Knowledge of land use, urban design, and policy issues facing the City of Vancouver are important and necessary assets.
- Ability to perform technical research and prepare reports independently.
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment.
- Ability to supervise staff.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and demonstrate professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated effective project management, analytical, written communication and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated experience in urban design and community planning and the ability to prepare design guidelines and policy documents and to produce and communicate with visual material are also required.
- Demonstrable skills and proven ability in the following software are requirements: word processing (Word), quantitative analysis (Excel), presentations (PowerPoint), preparation of visual materials (Adobe Creative Suite), and Urban Design Analysis (SketchUp), and MapInfo.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $48.78 to $57.7 per hour
Application Close: June 13th, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source