Requisition ID: 29094
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Planner II (Urban Designer/Development Planner II) is responsible for highly complex professional planning, urban design and development planning work related to the physical design and development of Vancouver’s public and private realm.
The position provides built form and urban design advice on planning initiatives, rezoning applications and development applications involving small, medium and large-scale development and redevelopment. This work will include review and assessment of formal development proposals; development and implementation of urban design policies and guidelines; consultation and negotiation with internal and external stakeholders; presentations to panels, committees and Council; and, continuous improvement of associated processes.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The work it is undertaken in a multi-disciplinary team environment and involves both independent thought and co-operative decision-making. The subject matter can be controversial and requires thorough, conceptually clear and accurate responses to varied stakeholder interests.
- Manages and coordinates the design development and approval process for development proposals requiring urban design or built form analysis from the initial enquiry stage through to final Development Permit approval, including:
- Evaluation and communication of advice and recommendations related to the City’s urban design policies and objectives.
- Consultation with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. Engineering Department or Public Open Houses).
- Consultation with relevant advisory bodies (e.g. Urban Design Panel or Persons with Disabilities Advisory Committee).
- Co-ordination of internal and external multi-disciplinary, multi-stakeholder design advice to ensure optimal overall urban design outcome.
- Development of project specific design directions and exploration of potential solutions.
- Presentation of final development proposals (written, verbal and visual) to relevant approving body (e.g. City Council, Development Permit Board or Director of Planning).
- Works within a multi-disciplinary team environment dealing with highly complex and controversial urban design and development planning matters.
- Undertakes and/or manages urban design policy development including:
- Refinement of adopted policy, regulations and guidelines.
- Support creation of new policy, regulations and guidelines.
- Participation in major planning initiatives involving complex projects and often politically sensitive.
- Undertakes and/or manages process improvements such as:
- Systems refinement.
- Communications refinement.
- Provides professional urban design advice and manages built form and public realm advice and negotiation for a range of projects including area plans, major projects, and rezonings at the single-site and complex multi-site scale.
Education and Experience:
- University graduate degree in Architecture, Planning or related university degree with experience similar to the duties required, preferably supplemented by supervisory experience.
- Architectural or alternate design experience with an emphasis on large-scale development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of urban design, architecture and landscape architecture design.
- Considerable knowledge of several of the following as they relate to planning: urban design, social sciences, law, economics, development practices and municipal finance.
- Considerable knowledge of sustainable building design and construction practices.
- Strong skills in communicating urban design concepts graphically both digitally and by hand
- Strong graphic skill, including use of AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Photoshop, etc.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- High degree of design skill as well as critical thinking ability.
- Ability to establish co-operative working relationships, undertake negotiations and resolve conflicts with developers, design consultants, City departments and the general public.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate course of action and make recommendations to senior management.
- Ability to organize and co-ordinate multiple projects with tight timelines.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Position End Date: May, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $48.78 to $57.7 per hour
Application Close: April 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source