Requisition ID: 27882
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planner I assists in the processing of development and building permit applications, primarily in the low to medium density zoning districts and commercial and housing renovations (with an expectation to increase the scope of zones reviewed), by providing urban design, planning and
residential zoning and development by-law advice to the public, staff and applicants. This position resolves problems of by-law interpretation on sites having special characteristics and recommends relaxations where warranted using judgement based on by-law intent, guidelines, policy, hardship, site inspections, technical review and professional architectural experience.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides planning review for low to medium density housing and other more complex planning projects
- Supports DBL Service Centre with professional planning and urban design advice and with customer service
- Represents the Director of Planning at the Board of Variance for projects
- Monitors the impact of zoning regulations on single-family areas, and in consultation with the policy staff, recommends and reports to Council on new regulations and guidelines where appropriate
- Prepares illustrated information bulletins to assist the public in understanding residential zoning regulations
- Provides technical assistance to staff
- Presents to advisory panels
- Performs related architectural and planning work as required.
- The work may also involve a high number of enquiries and public contact that requires consistent and accurate advice be given.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in planning and/or architecture recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners or the AIBC
- Minimum of five years professional experience is preferred
- Demonstrated experience with Architecture, Building Design/Renovation and/or Urban Design is preferred; experience includes
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of residential zoning regulations and guidelines and experience with implementation and administration of residential zoning by-laws and guidelines is an asset.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills. Ability to relate well to other staff, builders, designers, architects, owners, Boards, Panels, members of Council and the general public.
- Working knowledge of other subjects applicable to planning work. Working knowledge of the Vancouver Building By-Law. Good knowledge of governmental structures and systems.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners or Architectural Institute of BC is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: April, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: March 28, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source