Requisition ID: 31240
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Planner I will be a key member of the Implementation Group within Community Planning; Long-Range and Strategic Planning. The successful candidate will provide professional and technical services towards the implementation of several community and area plans, including the delivery of public benefits and public realm improvements. The work may also include the development of new land use policy and district schedules and guidelines. The position will include providing policy advice on rezoning enquiries and applications. Communication with residents and stakeholders, as well as collaboration with other City departments and external agencies will be a key aspect of this position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Project managing numerous initiatives related to the implementation of community and area plans, including the delivery of public benefits and public realm improvements.
- Assisting in the development of new land use policy, including district schedules and guidelines.
- Designing and conducting public consultation activities, including community meetings and workshops, as well as on-line engagement activities.
- Working with representatives from other departments and residents to support the delivery of public benefits and public realm improvements.
- Conducting complex policy research and data analysis.
- Reviewing and providing policy advice on rezoning enquiries and applications.
- Writing reports, facilitating meetings and presenting to other staff, management, City Council and external stakeholders
- Supervising junior staff and providing direction and guidance to professional consultants engaged by the City.
- This position occasionally requires work on weekday evenings and weekends
Education and Experience:
- A university degree in planning or a related discipline, recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Minimum of two years of professional experience related to the duties and responsibilities of the position
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in the development and review of land use policies in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Ability to manage and complete projects or distinct components of a larger work program.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex issues through Council reports and presentations, or comparable documentation and presentations.
- Sound knowledge of planning and research methodologies.
- Experience in developing and conducting public engagement processes.
- Knowledge of the City’s community and area plans, and related policies.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement in managing workload while delivering projects on time.
- The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: March, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: June 20, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source