Regular Full-Time (35 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Planning and Development Services Department seeks a Planner to join their team. The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to work within a multidisciplinary team of professionals while supporting large, City-building projects, including updates to the Official Community Plan, the preparation of a Housing Needs Report, a comprehensive review of the City’s Zoning Bylaw, and other emerging projects. The Planner is primarily responsible for managing development applications for a broad range of development applications of varying complexity. The Planner will be involved in supporting Public Information Meetings and presenting applications to the Advisory Design Panel and the Board of Variance in addition to supporting presentations to the City’s Land Use and Planning Committee. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, and the ability to independently manage multiple assignments.
- Master’s Degree in Planning, supplemented by a minimum of five years of progressively responsible planning experience preferably in a combination of municipal and private sector environments; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Current membership or eligibility for membership with the Planning Institute of British Columbia and/or Canadian Institute of Planners member;
- Experience with GIS and data management systems; experience with Tempest / Prospero an asset;
- Proficiency with graphic software tools (AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite) is desirable;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Considerable knowledge of planning practices and principles, particularly in an urban context;
- Considerable knowledge of the legal framework for decision-making in British Columbia including, but not limited to, provincial planning law and the relationship between an Official Community Plan, zoning bylaw and other municipal regulatory controls;
- Sound knowledge of research techniques and the ability to collect, analyze and interpret data and submit conclusions and recommendations in a clear and concise manner;
- Strong control of the English language (e.g., spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.) and ability to prepare well written reports, with compelling / rationalized arguments, and clear recommendations that draw from planning principles, local policy, technical concepts and related materials;
- Ability to exercise consistent judgement and creativity in dealing with a variety of planning matters;
- Ability to coordinate technical input on development applications and, where required, proactively resolve issues of conflict so as to facilitate a coherent understanding of local expectations;
- Ability to maintain files, records, reports and related material with detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated ability communicate effectively while providing outstanding customer service to the public, Council, and City staff regarding planning policy, regulations, processes and related matters;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure while dealing with contentious matters and difficult customers and ability to apply conflict management skills when necessary;
- Ability to work well with others and to make a positive contribution to a team environment;
- Possess and maintain a valid BC Class 5 driver’s license with a safe driving record.
The wage of this unionized position is $78,600 – $92,863 annually (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. The City of White Rock is also committed to supporting career growth and professional development. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, degree and drivers abstract for consideration by the application deadline.
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m., December 20, 2020
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2020-42
View Original Source Source