The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
Job ID: 2020-0108
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
The Plan Reviewer works in the Building Approvals Department, to independently perform work of mid-level complexity in reviewing building plans to ensure compliance with building codes, City of Richmond bylaws, related regulations and directives as communicated by Manager, Plan Review. The Plan Reviewer receives day-to-day support and guidance from, as well as reports operational needs to Coordinator of Permits and Plan Review. The Plan Reviewer provides regular performance reports to the Manager, Plan Review.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing plans and related documents for commercial, industrial and residential developments to ensure compliance with building codes, bylaws and related regulations and technical standards.
- Maintain accurate records on permits, plan reviews and correspondence.
- Meet with developers, architects, engineers, owners, etc., for preliminary discussions.
- Clarify code interpretations pertaining to building permit applications.
- Prepare review comments outlining modifications and other actions necessary to achieve compliance.
- Respond to inquiries about code/bylaw interpretations, requirements and technical aspects.
- Oversee and coordinate work with other departments.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of building codes, City bylaws, technical standards, as applicable to building permit review.
- Knowledge of building construction principles and practices as applicable to all types of construction.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with stakeholders and staff.
- Demonstrate high level of customer service when responding to customer inquiries.
- Exercise independent judgement and decision-making in the interpretation and analysis of plans.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities to sustain work level.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond in a timely manner to questions from supervisors, customers and the public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where limited standardization exists.
- Exercise independent judgement and decision-making in the interpretation and analysis of complex plans and proposals in order to identify discrepancies or conflicts.
- Experience with record management software such as REDMS, AMANDA, and GIS considered an asset.
- Ability to successfully pass a Police Information Check.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduation from a two (2) year Diploma program in Building Technology from an Institute of Technology is required
- Minimum of 2 years’ related experience in the building construction industry or Municipal field, preferably as a Plan Reviewer. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Working experience in plan review and/or inspection of Parts 3 & 9 commercial, industrial and residential buildings.
- Working knowledge of City of Richmond Bylaws.
- Certification of BOABC Level 2 or eligibility for certification by the Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia.
- Registered Building Designer (RBD), Certified Residential Designer (CRD), Registered Building Official (RBO) designation considered an asset.
This work is performed in an office environment. The ability to concentrate may be compromised by customer interruptions. This position works with the general public, contractors and development customers who may demonstrate rude and verbally abrasive conduct when frustrated and/or aggravated.
Location: City Hall
Employee Group: CUPE Local 718
Position Status: Regular Full-Time
Pay Band: J13
Pay Range/Rate: $38.06 – $44.92
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday 8:15-5:00pm compressed work week. Internal Closing Date: 01/03/21
External Closing Date: 05/03/21
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites application from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Should you be contacted and require some form of accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will endeavour to meet your needs to the best of our ability. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No Telephone inquiries, please.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
View Original Source Source