Requisition ID: 22676
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function:
This position performs technical and advisory work in the Services Centre including the examination of plans and submissions for permit applications. Provides information (including rotations in the Phone Centre), to staff, developers, contractors, design professionals and the public on permit processing and interpretation of by-laws, guidelines and bulletins, including information and advice on other City procedures.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reviews plans for 1 & 2 family dwellings, secondary suites and other small commercial projects;
- Provides full and comprehensive Zoning & Building By-law reviews; makes discretionary decisions and relaxations for projects such as change of use, Section 5 exemptions, and others;
- Schedules projects for the PC1’s and mentors/reviews their work.
- Reviews business license applications;
- Provides advice on related permit and processing requirements, liaises with staff in Development Services and other City departments to provide a response or seek advice on behalf of clients for process, technical and design issues or to determine appropriate referral.
- Over-the-counter permit processing; high number of enquiries and direct contact with the public requires consistent and accurate advice and resolving difficult and sometimes confrontational situations.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Diploma in Building Technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience in interpreting and checking plans and administration of By-laws and Building/Development Permit work;
- Demonstrated time and project management skills;
- Meeting deadlines and managing a large volume of work with changing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and communication skills to convey information and explain technical matters;
- Demonstrated ability to achieve and maintain effective working relationships, and to exercise fair and sound judgement.
- Must have demonstrated exceptional conflict resolution skills and experience dealing tactfully, patiently and effectively with irate/stressed clients;
- The ability to quickly adapt to changes in the work place; have superior customer service skills;
- The ability to function as part of a team and to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Knowledge of computers including Posse & PRISM systems;
- The ability to write memos, procedures and manuals; and also instruct, advise and supervise employees.
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Positions available: 2
- 1 TFT until 10/26/2022
- 1 TFT until 06/18/2021
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2020
Position End Date: See above
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: November 8. 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source