Plan Checker I #267
Closing Date: February 4, 2021
A challenging and rewarding opportunity exists to join our team of Building Officials in a full time, permanent Plan Checker I position w3ith the City of Kamloops! If you embrace respect, accountability, clarity, collaboration, integrity and competency, then working in the Development, Engineering and Sustainability Department may be a great fit for you. The Building Section is a collaborative and team based group, which offers great space for professional development and career growth.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Examines and checks plans, specifications, and drawings of proposed new residential construction, conversions, alterations, or additions within the scope of Part 9 of the BC Building Code and the BC Plumbing Code to ensure compliance with City bylaws; lists nonconforming items in plans; and discusses with principals the possibility of revisions to meet standards and makes decisions on complex bylaw and building regulation interpretations.
- Coordinates all types of single- and two-family residential permit applications through other relevant City divisions and departments and relevant agencies to ensure that all City concerns and regulations are addressed.
- Discusses plans with architects, contractors, engineers, and other interested parties.
- Explains and interprets building and bylaw requirements to permit applicants.
- Advises and informs Building Inspection Section staff of any relevant changes to issued Building Permits.
The successful applicant must have the following qualifications:
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma in Building Technology.
- Completion of both Level I exams with the Building Officials’ Association of BC and must obtain Level I certification within one year of starting in the position.
- Minimum one year’s previous experience as a plan checker and/or working in a related field such as construction.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check. A comprehensive benefits package is included with this position.
CUPE Inside 11
Hours & Days of Work
Monday to Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (winter);
7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (summer)
This position is paid 8 hours per day, with a half hour unpaid lunch break.
Hours per Week
City of Kamloops -> Development, Engineering, and Sustainability -> Building & Engineering Development
Chief Building Official
February 4, 2021
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
View Original Source Source