Requisition ID: 25333
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position performs complex payroll processing in a computerized payroll function. The incumbent is responsible for receiving, reviewing and processing various employee documentation for payroll related transactions and to ensure the accurate and timely delivery of a biweekly payroll. The work involves maintaining clerical records, inputting information into computer system, generating payroll transactions and reports, validating, balancing, editing and correcting entries. Assists in directing and reviewing work of Payroll Clerk Is and IIs. Participates in performing system testing, solving complex payroll processing problems and transactions and documenting procedures.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Supervisor, Payroll Services this position is a key member of the Corporate Payroll team in Financial Services. The incumbent works closely with other members of the payroll team and liaises with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintains and processes employee information records for complex transactions, in particular, complicated terminations, leaves of absences involving WCB, MTD and LTD claims. Performs manual calculations of pay and deductions as necessary
- Assists in preparing and documenting user specifications for system changes and enhancements. Participates and assists in creating test scenarios, conducting user tests of configuration changes and enhancements: validating test data, documenting and evaluating test results
- Participates in user groups and assists in identifying and analyzing user problems, errors and developing solutions
- Provides user training in payroll processes to business unit clerical staff (who perform time entry function) and other payroll clerks
- Receives, reviews and processes staff action forms. Reviews and approves adjustments to employees’ quotas and entitlements including vacation, overtime, sick leave, statutory holidays, gratuity etc.
- Prepares, reviews daily edits for time and pay, and ensure all errors have been corrected
- Initiates biweekly payroll run, reviews pre-edit reports, makes corrections and validates results prior to final payrun. Reviews and approves corrections made by Payroll Clerk IIs
- Reviews, approves and releases manual pay calculations, manual cheques (prepared by Payroll Clerk IIs)
- Coordinates reconciliation and resolves complex WCB, Medium Term and Long Term Disability claims. Liaises with HR, City departments and external agencies on these matters
- Liaises with HR to process grievance settlements
- Assist in yearend preparation of employee T4s and T4As.
- Maintains statistics and trends to assist supervisor in analyzing trends and issues
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by accounting and payroll related courses. Completion of Canadian Payroll Association PCP Certification (or equivalent) is an asset.
- Extensive experience working in a fast paced multi union environment.
- Experience working with SAP is preferred.
- Experience in training and coaching of staff is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge and ability to apply existing payroll legislation.
- Ability to understand and apply regulations, agreements and procedures concerning payroll and benefit matters. Knowledge of City personnel regulations and collective agreements applicable to wage and salary administration would be preferred.
- Excellent computer skills with strong working knowledge in all MS Office applications (emphasis on familiarity with MS Excel & MS Outlook).
- Organizational/Multi-Task Skills – Ability to allocate time effectively, work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines, organized; detail-oriented and a self-starter.
- Excellent decision making skills. Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to make repetitive and arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy and to adhere to rigid time schedules.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, superiors, departmental officials and representatives from outside agencies. Requires considerable tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Working knowledge of office methods and procedures and of the uses of standard office equipment, including the ability to operate a calculator.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of double-entry bookkeeping and reconciling and balancing accounts.
- Ability to communicate, both oral and written. Ability to prepare a variety of reports, statements, statistics and spreadsheets. Ability to interpret technical documentation and follow complex instructions
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2021
Position End Date: June, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-020: $30.98 to $36.45 per hour
Application Close: February 12, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source