Requisition ID: 27294
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position performs moderately complex payroll processing in a computerized payroll function. The incumbent is responsible for receiving, reviewing and processing various documentation on employees for payroll related transactions. The work involves maintaining clerical records, inputting information into computer system, generating payroll transactions and reports, validating, balancing and correcting entries. Computations and processing requires accuracy and adherence to applicable laws, regulations, collective agreements and City policies.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Manager, Payroll Services this position is a key member of the Corporate Payroll team in Financial Services. The incumbent works closely with other members of the payroll team and liaises with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintains and processes employee information records for moderately complex transactions including hires, re-hires, terminations, retirements, re-assignments, employee status changes and reclassifications. Performs manual calculations of pay and deductions as necessary
- Receives, reviews and processes staff action forms for a group of employees. Inputs information into computerized payroll system and checks output and calculations for accuracy and reasonableness
- Monitors and makes required adjustments to employees’ quotas and entitlements including vacation, overtime, sick leave, statutory holidays, gratuity etc.
- Generate payroll calculations (evaluations and simulations), check for accuracy and reasonableness and make necessary corrections prior to final payruns
- Responds to enquiries and requests for information including on earnings and other payroll related matters from external agencies.
- Assist in yearend preparation of employee T4s by checking and balancing data
- May be required to assist in basic user testing for system changes
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of City personnel regulations and collective agreements applicable to wage and salary administration
- Considerable knowledge of City regulations and practices with respect to employee benefits and entitlements
- Ability to understand and apply regulations, agreements and procedures concerning payroll and benefit matters
- Ability to maintain sustained attention to detail in preparing and recording payroll transactions
- Ability to make repetitive and arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy, and to adhere to rigid time schedules
- Working knowledge of computer systems and applications such as Word and Excel
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, superiors, departmental officials and representatives from outside agencies. Requires considerable tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Working knowledge of office methods and procedures and of the uses of standard office equipment, including the ability to operate a calculator
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of double-entry bookkeeping and reconciling and balancing accounts
- Ability to analyze information, identify and resolve problems and communicate resolutions to employees
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: October 31, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-018: $28.55 to $33.60 per hour
Application Close: March 19th, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source