The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are accepting applications for a Parks Planner to join our Community Services team on a full-time basis. Reporting to the Manager of Parks, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Implementing and updating the strategic parks and greenways plan that defines the vision for future parks and greenways within the CVRD;
- Designing, coordinating and facilitating public and agency consultation processes to determine agency preferences and community needs and desires for the development of parks and green space;
- Drafting park management plans, departmental policies and procedures, and bylaws;
- Identifying and assessing parkland requirements, including environmentally sensitive areas, as part of land use development processes;
- Presenting staff reports and park management plans to directors at CVRD board and committee meetings;
- Leading the planning and design of a variety of park and greenway project initiatives including park master plans and park capital infrastructure renewal and development projects;
- Evaluating existing park and greenway usage and preparing recommendations and designs for upgrades;
- Researching, identifying and preparing new grant opportunities and applications to fund park projects.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Knowledgeable about provincial legislation relating to the work, including the Local Government Act, Land Title Act, and Agricultural Land Commission Act
- A strong communicator with the ability to explain parks processes to the general public and community user groups and to facilitate public meetings and workshops
- Skilled in balancing multiple priorities and overseeing multiple projects simultaneously
- A strong researcher with excellent writing skills
- Possesses sound working knowledge of the principles of park and greenway planning, development and operations.
- Able to prepare park management plans, parks and greenway master plans and working drawings related to the implementation of plans.
- Four year or equivalent university degree in parks planning, landscape architecture or related discipline and over 5 years directly related experience in parks planning; OR graduate degree in parks planning, landscape architecture or related discipline and over 4 years, up to and including 5 years directly related experience in parks planning.
- Eligible for membership in either the Planning Institute of BC or the BC Society of Landscape Architects;
- Flexible in working a variety of shifts including some evenings and weekends
This is a CUPE Local 556 position with a wage rate of $42.26 per hour.
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is 3:00 pm on October 05, 2020. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.
View Original Source Source