City of Surrey
Parks Labourer – Urban Forestry (Natural Areas)
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
We are looking for motivated and hardworking labourers who are interested in gaining valuable career experience from a wide variety of urban forestry and habitat restoration field-based work. The Urban Forestry – Natural Areas team provides exciting opportunities and challenges in an active and energetic environment.
CUPE Local 402 – Temporary Full-Time.
- Work in natural area parks throughout Surrey on a field-based crew under the supervision of senior staff.
- Complete a variety of manual and semi-skilled general labour tasks including:
- Invasive plant removal
- Planting maintenance (weeding/brushing/mulching)
- Planting native trees and shrubs
- Trail maintenance (vegetation pruning, leaf blowing, and tread repairs)
- Refuse and yard waste removal
- Tree debris clean-up
- Completing heavy physical work in all weather conditions, requiring sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination.
- Interact with the public in a professional manner.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Have a valid BC Driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Have experience performing manual labour.
- Have experience with power tools (brush saw, hedge trimmer, and backpack blowers) and hand tools (shovels, picks, hand snips, loppers, and hand saws).
- Demonstrate ability to identify native and invasive plants.
- Have strong public relations, communication and interpersonal skills.
If you’re interested in this position, please apply online @ www.surrey.ca/careers to Job ID 3644 by February 12, 2021.
View Original Source Source