Requisition ID: 28861
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Operations Worker III is responsible for skilled and semiskilled construction and maintenance of park structures and buildings. The duties require heavy physical effort and may involve working in hazardous conditions. Operations Worker III‘s are responsible for adhering to established work and safety standards and depending on the complexity of the work required, may work under close direction, guidance and supervision.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Operations worker III is responsible for the construction and maintenance of park facilities and outdoor assets such as Benches, Picnic tables, fountains, retaining walls, concrete surfaces, monuments brick and block structures. Setting of concrete surfaces, repairing and installing paving and granite coping stones. Repairing of stone walls. Builds forms, mixes and places concrete, and performs routine and complex concrete finishing tasks. Concrete cutting and coring. Tile setting and tile repairs. Roof cleaning and inspection. Pressure washing a variety of surfaces.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of high school supplemented by courses related to the work and sound related experience
- Experience in the operation of a wide variety of manual, hydraulic, pneumatic, electric and gas powered tools, including motorized construction and maintenance equipment, such as, but not limited to generators, saws, pumps, scaffolding, boom lifts, scissor lifts, power augers, drills, compressors, chainsaws, rotary hammer drills, etc.
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the Board of Parks and Recreation.
- Forklift Operators Certificate is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and materials used in construction maintenance.
- Working knowledge of City of Vancouver bylaws, safety standards
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and other staff.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of judgment and initiate action for the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Ability to follow written (blueprints, word orders and sketches) as well as verbal instructions and maintain accurate records.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: September, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-315: $29.04 per hour
Application Close: April 16, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source