Requisition ID: 20995
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Operations Worker III is responsible for skilled and semi-skilled construction and maintenance tasks with specialization in asphalt and drainage. The duties require heavy physical effort and may involve working in hazardous conditions. Operations Workers are responsible to adhere to established work and safety standards and depending on the complexity of the work required, may work under close direction, guidance and supervision.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Operations Worker III – Asphalt and Drainage is responsible for complex construction and maintenance work such as grading, prepping base and sub-base, good knowledge of asphalt laydown, installing catch basins, manholes, risers and the installation of drain lines. The incumbent will be performing rough carpentry and concrete repair work .The Operations Worker III will also perform regular maintenance in storm/drainage systems. Cleaning Catch Basins, flushing and rodding of drain lines. The incumbent will support crew members and be responsible for the operation of a standard truck (loading, unloading, and driving).
The successful incumbent will be required to work Monday to Friday 7:00am to 3:30pm on the basis of 40 hours per week.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school supplemented by courses related to the work and sound related experience
- Experienced in the use of; compactors, a variety of power tools, such as con saws, drills, pneumatic jack hammers, plate tampers, power snakes, reciprocating saws, trash pumps, generators, compressors, HILTI drills and chain saws
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and materials used in full depth excavation repair in asphalt maintenance: duties on driveways, pathways, crossings, roadways, tennis courts, water parks and related hard surfaces and perform the work to Branch standards.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of judgment and initiate action for the work
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public
- Ability to follow written (blueprints, word orders and sketches) as well as verbal instructions and maintain accurate records
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record
All applicants must also attach their driver’s abstract and any other relevant certifications to their application.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-315: $29.04 per hour
Application Close: February 26, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source