Requisition ID: 26680
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Operations Worker III is responsible for skilled and semi-skilled construction and maintenance tasks with specialization in asphalt and drainage. The duties require heavy physical effort and may involve working in hazardous conditions. Operations Workers are responsible to adhere to established work and safety standards and depending on the complexity of the work required, may work under close direction, guidance and supervision.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Operations Worker III – Asphalt and Drainage is responsible for complex construction and maintenance work such as grading, prepping base and sub-base, good knowledge of asphalt laydown, installing catch basins,manholes, risers and the installation of drain lines. The incumbent will be performing rough carpentry and concrete repair work. The Operations Worker III will also perform regular maintenance in storm/drainage systems. Cleaning Catch Basins, flushing and rodding of drain lines. The incumbent will support crew members and be responsible for the operation of a standard truck (loading, unloading, and driving).
The successful incumbent will be required to work Monday to Friday 7:00am to 3:30pm on the basis of 40 hours per week.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school supplemented by courses related to the work and sound related experience
- Experienced in the use of; compactors, a variety of power tools, such as con saws, drills, pneumatic jack hammers, plate tampers, power snakes, reciprocating saws, trash pumps, generators, compressors, HILTI drills and chain saws
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and materials used in full depth excavation repair in asphalt maintenance: duties on driveways, pathways, crossings, roadways, tennis courts, water parks and related hard surfaces and perform the work to Branch standards.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of judgment and initiate action for the work
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public
- Ability to follow written (blueprints, word orders and sketches) as well as verbal instructions and maintain accurate records
A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record.
All applicants must also attach the following documents to be considered:
- Driving Records Abstract for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 3 years
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: September, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-315: $29.04 per hour
Number of Positions: multiple
Application Close: April 18, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source