Requisition ID: 26553
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City’s purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. Street Operations Workers maintain and construct City streets, lanes and sidewalks.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Operations workers perform general construction tasks such as concrete finishing, form setting, boulevard restoration, drain tile installation, asphalt raking and conduit installation. Operations workers also perform maintenance tasks such as pressure washing, bridge painting and pothole repair. The work is performed outdoors, in all weather conditions and is physically demanding. Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Street Operations functions 365 days per year. Successful candidates must be able to work Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm and may be required to adjust shifts as operational required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring experience in construction.
- Experience working in roles requiring learning new skills, procedures and processes.
- Experience working with asphalt and/or concrete is an asset.
- Experience with bridge maintenance activities and working from heights is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of Street Operations and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labor.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas.
- Ability to work on ladders, elevated areas, confined spaces, and/or uneven surfaces.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $28.67 per hour
Number of Positions: 15
Application Close: April 11, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source