Requisition ID: 27074
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. These ranges from such fundamental services as water supply, sewerage, drainage, refuse removal, street access, and lighting, to regulatory functions such as traffic control, parking enforcement, transportation planning, and preservation of utility and communication corridors.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Sanitation Operations Workers in Collections Operations provides direct customer service to our residents and involves curbside collection of garbage or green bin materials on assigned collection routes throughout the City. Drive refuse collections route. Operations Workers may also be assigned to other Sanitation Branch specific work.
Sanitation operations branches function 365 days/year, applicants must be willing and able to work shift work. The shift is from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Training shifts may also be on weekends. Successful applicants’ availability must meet Branch expectations in order to continue employment with the Branch.
Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring and truck driving experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of collections and/or recycling.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and respectfully deal with the public.
- Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment variety of tools and equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brakes or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: September, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $28.67 per hour
Number of Positions: 15
Application Close: March 16, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source