Requisition ID: 27813
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Under direct supervision, this position completes a variety of tasks which can include cutting grass, operating mowers, and using line trimmers and general turf care equipment. Other duties may include marker foundation installation, grave marker placement, landscaping around grave markers, project work and performing other related Cemetery duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will work from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday and may be required to adjust shifts as operational required. The work is based entirely at Mountain View Cemetery.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of high school
- Work experience in landscape/turf maintenance (preferably supplemented with horticultural coursework/education) or cemetery landscaping.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and landscape maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of a cemetery and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- The necessary tact and demeanour appropriate for a cemetery.
- Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment used in landscape construction and maintenance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit the performance of heavy manual outdoor work in all weather.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 7 (“N”) BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record.
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: Apr/May, 2021
Position End Date: Sept/Oct/Nov, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-310: $28.67 per hour
Number of Positions: 11
Application Close: April 6, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source