Open until filled
40 hours/week, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Internal and external applications are welcome
Competitive compensation with a comprehensive benefits package
Situated in a majestic mountain setting at the east end of the lush Fraser Valley, Hope offers all the amenities of a large centre, while at the same time preserving the life style of a small community. Hope boasts an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities; scenic trails for all levels of hikers and bikers; pristine lakes, streams and creeks for fishers and water sport enthusiasts. Some of our amenities include a modern recreation complex, a curling rink, baseball diamonds, skateboard park, golf & country club, a hospital, an extended care facility, a public health centre, drug stores, medical clinics, chiropractic care, optician, and more.
The District of Hope is currently seeking an Operations Manager to join our team. This position supports the Operations department by supervising the construction, maintenance, and operational activities of roads, utilities, buildings, parks and other assets of the District of Hope. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations, while working with a high degree of autonomy, the Operations Manager provides direct supervision to the crew which includes planning and scheduling work, monitoring, and providing day-to-day guidance. This position coordinates field work approximately 50% of the time and administrative office work approximately 50% of the time.
Responsibilities include; but are not limited to:
- Overseeing, guiding, motivating, and mentoring operations staff through effective recruitment and selection, employee engagement, performance management, employee training and development;
- Assigning work to crews to maximize efficiency while complying with WorkSafeBC;
- Responding to internal and external stakeholders through a variety of mediums including email, phone, and in-person;
- Preparing correspondence such as reports, work plans, contracts, quotes, and policies and procedures;
- Administering the operations budget through procurement and budget preparations;
- Inspecting and monitoring new development sites for quality control in accordance with municipal bylaws and regulations;
- Recording and organizing inspections, repairs, maintenance and benchmarking data;
- Recommending, selecting, and supervising contactors when contract work is required;
- Tracking and ensuring all equipment, tools, and apparatus are in good repair and in proper working order;
- Recommending options or projects that facilitate upgrades, or replacement of, existing facilities and coordinate the required work to ensure completion;
- Administering the District of Hope’s safety program by modelling and ensuring safety and risk management policies, procedures, legislation and regulations are adhered to by all employees and contractors.
Qualifications include; but are not limited to:
- Completion of grade 12 or equivalent;
- Completion of post-secondary education in construction, civil engineering, or another related program;
- Certification in Civil Engineering Technology or Public Works Supervision, an asset;
- Training or education in administrative management, project management, or leadership, an asset.
Licenses and Certifications
- Possession of a valid class 5 driver’s license;
- An acceptable driver’s abstract.
- 5 years’ experience supervising within a Public Works environment;
- Experience working in a municipality, preferred;
- Significant experience with municipal infrastructure, maintenance, and construction, preferred;
- Experience supervising in a unionized environment, an asset.
- Of municipal infrastructure and Operations best practices;
- Of the safe operations of tools and equipment;
- Of safe work practices and procedures including the Occupational Health & Safety regulation as it relates to the workplace, the department, and to the position;
- Of diffusing difficult situations.
- Exceptional leadership and supervisory skills;
- Effective written and oral communication;
- Using sound judgement;
- Using Microsoft Office suite of products including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
- Problem-solving while under pressure.
- Ability to create and develop systems and programs that support the effectiveness and efficiency of the Operations Department;
- Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize effectively;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to manage situations with a high degree of tact, discretion, and confidentiality.
Please submit your cover letter and resume outlining specifically how your experience and qualifications relate to the position as described above. As mentioned above, this position is a blended role where you will spend about half your time in the field supervising and providing guidance to employees and about half your time in the office completing the administrative tasks. Those who have experience in a similar role are encouraged to clearly highlight that on their cover letter. Please send your cover letter and resume to the attention of Mrs. Dagny Guy, Manager of Human Resources & Occupational Health & Safety, via one of the methods below:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Fax: 604-869-2275 | In Person: 325 Wallace Street, Hope, BC
View Original Source Source