Requisition ID: 31964
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Revenue Services is the consolidated service counter for routine, high volume transactions for the City Hall campus. This moderately complex clerical position is responsible for assisting the public in a professional manner by conducting such tasks as processing payments, clarifying/resolving billing issues, initiating adjustments to accounts, processing requests for specific forms or services, providing financial and account information and answering questions pertaining to legislation, bylaws or Division policies and/or procedures. The Customer Service Representative (CSR) is expected to develop expertise in a wide range of subjects including but not limited to: property taxes, Empty Homes Tax (EHT), utilities, bylaw fines, business license renewals, dog licenses, residential parking permits, security alarm permits, commercial decals and miscellaneous accounts receivables. Incumbents may oversee the work of a small group of employees performing routine tasks.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Supervisor of Customer Service and Remittance Processing, the CSR will interact with the public in person, by phone or in writing (email or letter) under a variety of circumstances. In the course of answering queries, processing payments or resolving problems, ongoing contact with senior Division staff and other City personnel may be required. Where an issue is outside the scope of the CSR function, it is the duty of the CSR to promptly refer the customer to a senior staff member or the appropriate authority/department.
Specific Duties / Responsibilities
The CSR is expected to develop expertise on a number of subjects, not limited to: property taxes, EHT, utilities, bylaw fines, residential parking permits, business license renewals, dog licenses, commercial decals, security alarm permits, miscellaneous account receivables and others as new business is taken on by the department. Overall range of responsibilities may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Provides prompt and accurate responses to inquiries, issues and complaints (in person, by phone or in writing) from the general public by obtaining the pertinent information from various sources, including other City departments. Facilitates the resolution of billing and collection issues and clarifies and conveys the same to the enquirer.
- Accepts and processes payments in accordance with established Division policies and procedures, makes change and issues receipts. For mailed payments, use complex remittance processing hardware and software to scan, image and apply payments in bulk to accounts. Prepare cheque payments for deposit to bank.
- Compiles, checks, matches, researches and verifies source documents with payments in order to record, process, balance and reconcile transactions or reports in accordance with established divisional guidelines, policies and procedures
- Distributes additional reference materials or forms to customers as required with the use of multiple computer applications (Tempest, Amanda, Posse, Quickweb) or online services. Adheres to strict confidentiality standards when preparing or distributing sensitive documents or information.
- Understands detailed financial information, legislation, bylaws, policies and procedures and interprets the same to customers
- Reviews, accepts and processes complex applications
- Investigates payment and correspondence issues and escalates unresolved issues to the appropriate staff or departments
- Prepares supporting documentation for account adjustments based on advises and communications with customers and provides the general public guidance on online payment and application procedures
- Maintains performance standards and statistics
- Occasionally assists in contacting customers to make arrangements for payment
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks for senior Division staff
- May assist in the training of staff and provide direction to Office Support Clerk II’s engaged in a variety of routine office duties
- Completes special projects assigned by the supervisor
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- At least two years of customer service and cash handling experience required.
- Good working knowledge of office procedures, practices and equipment.
- Strong communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills to deal effectively with external and internal customers; able to retain composure in encounters with upset or hostile customers and be able to escalate as required;
- Able to understand financial information and interpret the same to customers; able to listen effectively and empathize with customers and be able to provide them with accurate and thorough information that satisfies their queries;
- Able to understand legislation, regulations and bylaws and convey the same to customers; demonstrated willingness to learn complex subject matter and quickly recall essential information;
- Proficiency with computers and programs such as MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word); high processing/data entry speed; minimum keyboarding skill of 40wpm;
- Basic business arithmetic; accurate and attentive to detail; investigative aptitude; problem solving abilities.
- Able to work within established guidelines with little direct supervision;
- Must be willing to work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time.
6 TFT positions
– 1 ending Sept 9, 2022
– 1 ending Feb 28, 2022
– 2 for 5 months
– 1 ending July 31, 2023
– 1 ending Dec 31, 2021
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2021
Number of Vacancies: 6
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $26.34 to $30.94 per hour
Application Close: August 8, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source