Requisition ID: 24677
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Provides confidential administrative support on various collective agreement language, policies and confidential administrative support to Board meetings. In addition, the position is a supervisor to administrative front-desk staff and Activity Coordinators.
The Senior Secretary reports to the Manager of Administrative Services, the Executive Director and is the primary support for the Board of Management.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides confidential administrative support to staff on various collective agreement language and policies regarding benefits, pay, seniority lists, and staff attendance. Decisions are made within established rules, regulations, practices and consults with the Human Resources Consultant and Senior Management on difficult matters.
- Ensures new employees are enrolled in appropriate benefit programs under separate collective agreements with separate benefit carriers.
- Ensures postings and recruitment practices are maintained, working in partnership with the centralized recruitment team. Participates/Assists in the hiring of all administrative staff. Compiles and updates hiring panel files, posting information, questions/answers, and associated documentation for all society positions.
- Prepares and ensures seniority lists from timesheets are accurate for employees under separate collective agreements & obtains seniority hours from Parks for Recreation staff.
- Prepares and ensures time bank balances are accurate using information obtained from Supervisors, Managers, and Employee Attendance Sheets under separate collective agreements.
- Prepares, updates and ensures staff attendance is accurate using information from Supervisors, Managers and Employee Attendance Sheets.
- Creates and ensures attendance reports, time bank balance reports, seniority reports, and employee reports are accurate under separate collective agreements.
- Liaises with departmental supervisors to ensure routing of Worker Compensation Benefits forms and communications are timely and completed as required.
- Directly supervisors a team of 7 full time staff, 1 regular part time staff and 20 plus auxiliary staff, including cashiers, receptionists, activity coordinators/facility support clerks, office support clerks, and a communications assistant.
- Conducts performance planning, evaluations, and reviews.
- Schedules hours for full time and aux staff, including holidays. Ensures that the centre office and switchboard is open and operating at appropriate hours seven (7) days a week as directed.
- Ensures communication and production of promotional materials, seasonal brochures, flyer production for the centre.
- Trouble-shoots any complication of program materials from all departments to ensure that publication and promotional deadlines are met.
- Oversees and directs staff on new technology adaptation, such as website updates and social media.
- Supervises internal and external communications of the Society.
- Creates staff operational communications for smooth service delivery.
- Provides confidential internal and external correspondence for staff, managers and Society Board as directed.
- Prepares information materials and agenda packages for Board and Committee meetings.
- Attends meetings and recording minutes as required.
- Notifies board members and committee members of meetings and events.
- Manages Society membership list and coordinates annual mailings.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Certifications
- Completion of Grade 12 and completion of diploma program in Human Resources Management or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Supervisory training supplemented with five years supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- To use judgement and to apply selected policies, procedures, and regulations in maintaining and processing personnel transactions;
- To establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, administrative officials, and the general public;
- To establish and maintain effective communications with employees, partners, community groups and the general public;
- To express oneself clearly and concisely in oral and written form; to understand and carry out complex oral or written instructions;
- To work independently; possess general knowledge of personnel policies and procedures of the program or functional area of assignment. This work will include the use of benefit administration manuals and outside contacts.
- To interact tactfully and confidentially at a high level with board members, committee members, staff and the public.
- Assign and follow through on projects, plan and execute public events, in conjunction with the Manager of Administration and the Executive Director.
- To effectively plan, train, supervise and evaluate the work of others is required.
- To operate Microsoft Office applications including WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, and POWERPOINT, as well as ADOBE InDESIGN and ACCPAC is required.
Please submit your resume to Jeremy Shier
Manager of Administrative Services
Britannia Community Services Centre
1661 Napier Street
Vancouver, B.C. V5L 4X4
Business Unit/Department: Britannia Community Services Centre Society
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: April 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source