Occupational Health & Safety Coordinator
Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2020)
Department: Human Resources and Corporate Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $3,261.60 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Human Resources and Corporate Services Department is seeking an Occupational Health & Safety Coordinator who will provide support to the Corporate Safety Division and client groups throughout various departments at Metro Vancouver.
You are: A self-motivated and safety-minded individual that wants to work in a collaborative team environment to advance safety at Metro Vancouver.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Identifies the need for, co-ordinates, develops and/or conducts safety initiatives and related training, safety meetings and seminars.
- Coordinates and liaises with Safety Security and Emergency Management Division and Department Safety Management Systems to ensure safety initiatives are in accordance with Corporate Safety Policy and Regulations.
- May represent the department on internal safety committees; provides interpretation, information, advice and assistance on safety matters as directed.
- May be required to liaise with WorkSafeBC and other government agencies.
- Conducts regular safety inspections and recommends corrective action; tests safety equipment and ensures necessary repairs are made; conducts hazardous material sampling. Investigates accidents and prepares reports and related recommendations; takes appropriate action when safety regulations are not being adhered to. Under the direction of onsite supervisory staff, assists in coordinating the activities of various employers, workers and other persons at the workplace relating to occupational health and safety.
- Initiates, prepares and maintains a variety of Safety Management System Documentation, inventory databases, records, reports, safe work procedures/practices, instructional and training material and related data.
- May provide direction to other staff on safety initiatives.
- Assists with budgets and monitoring costs associated with safety initiatives and may occasionally procure goods and services related to OH&S under the direction of the supervisor.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by safety, training and operational courses related to the work performed plus considerable related instructional experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience. Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety preferable.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, techniques, practices, rules and regulations applicable to the safe and efficient operation of a large variety of vehicles, equipment, tools and machinery used by Metro Vancouver work force. Particular knowledge of confined space entry and rescue techniques, lockout protection and shoring procedures is required.
- Considerable knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations and of other legislative requirements applicable to the operations of the work force.
- Sound knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques, tools and aids used in safety training programs.
- Demonstrated presentation skills, preferably related to safety training.
- Ability to conduct field inspections and identify health and safety hazards.
- Ability to perform all duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare and maintain reports and records related to the work.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Valid Occupational First Aid Certificate is an asset.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Please be advised that the careers page will be unavailable from Thursday, October 1st until Monday, October 5th, due to a system outage. Please note, job posting dates have been extended to ensure job opportunities are posted for 14 days.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 11, 2020.
National Education Award
Civicjobs.ca supports education in the Local Government sector.
Tools & Resources
Canada’s #1 Local Government job posting website.
Postings by Email
Receive email alerts, or sign up for our weekly e-bulletin.
View Original Source Source