City of Surrey
Natural Area Practitioner – Urban Forestry (Natural Areas)
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
The City of Surrey’s Urban Forestry – Natural Areas team has a unique full-time temporary job opportunity for someone who is interested in applying their varied experience and skills to meet the challenges of assisting in the management of over 1,600 hectares of forest, shrubland, and grassland. The Urban Forestry – Natural Areas team provides exciting opportunities and challenges in an active and energetic environment.
Union – CUPE Local 402 – Temporary Full-Time.
In this position, you will be:
- Field based with limited office work.
- Supervising and training junior staff.
- Working on a team or alone.
- Responding to service requests from the public.
- Completing a variety of manual and semi-skilled tasks including but not limitedto:
- trail maitenance (vegetation pruning, leaf blowing and treadrepairs)
- invasive plant removal
- planting maintenance (weeding/brushing/mulching)
- planting native trees and shrubs
- refuse and yard waste removal
- tree debris clean-up
- inventorying assets
- Completing heavy physical work in all weather conditions, requiring sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination.
- Preparing reports and maintaining records.
- Completing other related duties as required.
The successful applicant is able to work independently as well as in a team environment and must be physically able to carry out the duties as required; is a logical and analytical thinker in problem-solving situations; has superior public relations, interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills. As well, the successful applicant should have considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, standards and guidelines used in urban park natural area management.
Applicants must have:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by successful completion of five additional relevant courses from an approved post- secondary education institution in any of the following courseareas:
- Urban land management
- Wildlife management
- Plus a minimum of 2 years of recent experience in the management of natural areas. Or;
- Completion of Grade 12 and a Technical Certificate Program (one year full-time) from an approved post-secondary institution, supplemented by 18 months of recent experience in the management of natural areas. Or;
- Completion of a diploma program from an approved post-secondary institution, with a minimum of 6 months recent experience in the management of natural areas.
Applicants will meet the following requirements:
- A valid, unrestricted BC Driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Obtain a Pesticide Applicator’s License prior to completion of probation period.
- Experience supervising staff and strong leadership skills.
- Experience performing manual labour.
- Experience with power tools (brush saw, hedge trimmer, backpack blowers) and hand tools (shovels, picks, hand snips, loppers, hand saws).
- Demonstrated ability to identify native and invasive plants.
- Strong public relations, communication and interpersonalskills.
- Strong organizational, time management, record-keeping and computerskills.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check.
If you’re interested in this position please apply online @ www.surrey.ca/careers to Job ID 3646 before February 12, 2021.
View Original Source Source