Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Museum Assistant – Programs
(Young Canada Works Program)
The New Westminster Museum and Archives has a summer employment opportunity for a Museum Assistant – Programs, which will run from May 5 to August 22, 2021, Wednesdays to Sundays, 35 hours per week; however, a flexible week may be necessary in order to meet community programming needs.
Please note that the staffing of the position and its duration are conditional on the approval of the grant application submitted to the Young Canada Works program.
- Perform guided tours of New Westminster Museum and Archives facilities, including 1865 Irving House, the Samson V and Anvil Centre
- Assist with the research, development, testing and implementation of heritage programs.
- Perform educational heritage programming for school children and the public.
- Schedule and liaise with volunteers.
- Help the curator with basic preservation tasks.
- Perform light cleaning and basic maintenance.
- Perform other related duties.
- Registration in the Young Canada Works inventory at https://young-canada-works.canada.ca and you must be between the ages of 16 and 30. You must also have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.
- Completion of a year of study in museum studies, education, design, or history or a related program at a recognized university.
- Preference may be given to those with previous work or volunteer experience in a museum.
- Familiarity with the theory and principles of museum operations.
- Skills at building and maintaining community relationships, and sharing our values in working with diverse communities to research and tell inclusive stories.
- Ability to work co-operatively, as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suite of products.
- Ability to work 35 hours a week from Wednesdays through Sundays.
- Ability to successfully pass and maintain a satisfactory Police Information Check.
This position offers an hourly rate of $18.99 (2019 rates) plus 12% in lieu of benefits.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #21-25, by March 14, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527- 4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada
View Original Source Source