Media Relations Officer
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: External Relations
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG 23 $ 2,536.05 – $ 2,993.53 bi-weekly
Our External Relations Department is seeking a Media Relations Officer who will work within a dynamic Media Relations team and use their communications skills and media savvy to help enhance and safeguard Metro Vancouver’s reputation among the media, stakeholders and the public.
You are: A well-informed and experienced communications professional with outstanding written skills, meticulous attention to detail, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly with a variety of audiences, and whose values align with the organization’s commitment to sustainability, resilience, and equity.
- Researches and coordinates media responses for specific issues; liaises with subject matter specialists to obtain relevant information and advice on communications techniques for media interviews; coordinates requests for information and interviews.
- Drafts a variety of collateral materials such as issue briefs, advisories, news releases, articles, backgrounders, questions and answers, letters to the editor, speaking notes, award submissions, and related materials.
- Monitors social and news media content to identify potential issues and conversations relevant to Metro Vancouver; prepares summaries of social media content and media monitoring reports with brief executive summaries.
- Contacts news media representatives to provide potential story ideas and announcements.
- Participates in the development and execution of integrated social media strategies in support of communications priorities;
- Drafts and generates daily online content, including material for distribution by others, to enhance stakeholder awareness of Metro Vancouver developments and expand the reach of news releases, behaviour change campaigns, events and other matters.
- Liaises with internal client groups, external stakeholders and elected officials in developing a variety of materials to facilitate accurate media coverage.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of a diploma program in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or a related field, plus considerable related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of gathering, analyzing and disseminating public information.
- Considerable knowledge of best practices in media relations and in the use of social media as related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of Metro Vancouver communications objectives.
- Ability to research, write and edit a variety of materials on diverse topics.
- Ability to participate in the development and execution of integrated social media strategies.
- Ability to monitor media content and identify and summarize potential issues relevant to Metro Vancouver.
- Ability to liaise with a variety of internal and external contacts on matters related to the work.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, adapt information to the interests and understanding of the public, and to advise staff on media interviews.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by December 17, 2020.
View Original Source Source