School District No. 34 (Abbotsford)
School District No. 34 (Abbotsford)
Manager, Structural and Civil
The Abbotsford School District has a dynamic and challenging opportunity for an independent, highly self- motivated Manager of Structural and Civil. As a key member of the Operations Management team, this position establishes, coordinates, and oversees a diverse range of complex activities.
Reporting to the Director of Facilities and Transportation, the Manager of Structural and Civil will be responsible for the preventive maintenance, repairs and upgrades of the district facilities and Grounds in regard to interior/exterior painting/carpentry/locksmith/cabinetry/civil (grounds) and portable placements
The position shares an integral part of the district’s security program by establishing vandalism strategies and supervision of the on-call pager. The Manager of Structural and Civil will be involved in capital projects from design stage to completion.
This position directly supervises 5 foremen and crews in carpentry, painting, cabinet shop and grounds, and will fill-in for the Assistant Director and/or Director of Facilities and Transportation during absences as needed.
Under the general direction of and in consultation with the Director of Facilities and Transportation is directly responsible for the following activities:
- Assist in the preparation of project and departmental budgets; document all relevant information and prepare formal reports/studies as required.
- Assign and supervise trades grounds and maintenance workforce, delegating the appropriate and supervise trades and maintenance workforce, delegating the appropriate responsibility to the foreman.
- Maintain responsibility for the standards of maintenance/repair and construction/renovation work performed by the staff, ensuring that all work performed is in accordance with district policies, procedures and standards and that all such work is in accordance with related regulations and codes.
- Establish and maintain preventive maintenance schedules and records.
- Establish and undertake regular scheduled inspections of work performed ensuring effective and efficient work performance.
- Assist in determining and establishing detailed specifications for equipment, materials and supplies and submission of requisitions for approval and purchasing well in advance of need; verify that the equipment, materials and supplies received conform to established specifications.
- Maintain accurate inventories for gym re-coating, and interior and exterior painting programs.
- Maintain direct responsibility for the comprehensive assessment of maintenance/repair required, including time, materials and labour cost estimates and the scheduling, control and direct supervision of labour performed. Maintain a thorough knowledge of district facilities and operations.
- Participate in the recruitment, discipline and formal performance evaluations of staff as required.
- Maintain working knowledge of work in progress, making the appropriate adjustments as required ensuring all projects are completed in a timely manner in accordance with established policies, procedures, regulations and codes.
- Assist in preparing and implementing new and amended policies and procedures.
- Maintain working knowledge of policies, procedures, regulations and codes related to the position and the District.
- Participate in the budgeting process. In cooperation with purchasing department, tender and mange contracts with consultants, engineers and outside contractors.
- Attend and participate in departmental management meetings.
- Develop and implement both long term and short term plans with regard to building and system maintenance and upgrades.
- Establish a turf management program for both natural and synthetic fields. Perform tree assessments and keep an accurate tagging inventory and records.
- Perform all related duties as may be assigned by the Director of Facilities and Transportation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
The incumbent will have a current trade qualification or equivalent, in a trade related to the position or a Civil Technologist (ASTTBC) certification. In addition, the incumbent should have five years management experience in a related setting, with knowledge and understanding of carpentry, painting, minor renovations, paving, traffic technology, horticulture, arboriculture and turf management. The incumbent should have excellent computer skills and a valid class 5 B.C. driver’s license and successful completion of a supervisory or management skills credit course. The incumbent must also have:
- A passion for renovations and civil technology including play fields; playgrounds and courts;
- A proven ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing, including experience in the preparation of formal reports, oral/written presentations, statistical analyses;
- Extensive knowledge of building, fire, municipal and related codes, regulations and requirements; seismic and nonstructural seismic requirements;
- Experience in strategic planning, developing goals, measureable objectives and life cycle equipment analysis;
- Strong understanding of educational change, adult learning, behavioral change and building system capacity;
- Knowledge and experience with life cycle equipment analysis;
- Experience with tendering and management of contracts;
- Working knowledge of technical drawings, blueprints, sketches and building plans;
- Proven ability in computer operation and experience, including working with Microsoft Word, Excel, Windows and a computerized work order system. Ability to learn other computer software programs;
- Working knowledge of WHMIS and Worksafe BC Occupational health and safety regulations and the demonstrated ability to work in a manner that recognizes personal safety and the safety of others;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with all internal and external contacts;
- Ability to use tact and discretion and maintain confidentiality;
- Positive interpersonal and leadership skills, and the ability to develop teams and foster an environment which promotes teamwork;
- Ability to explain complex or simple instructions or information clearly to others;
- Ability to positively resolve conflict situations;
- Understanding and awareness of cultural diversity;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to provide service and relationship to the public and School District in a professional, respectful, positive and courteous manner.
Qualified applicants are requested to forward their covering letter and resume including the names of three references quoting Competition No. E 21 OPS 003 REG no later than 4:30 pm on Tuesday, November 17, 2020.
Interested applicants should forward their applications via e-mail to the Human Resources Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
View Original Source Source