City of Port Alberni
Manager of Communications
The City of Port Alberni is a vibrant community of 17,500 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
We are currently looking for a Manager of Communications to join a progressive and dynamic organization that provides a full range of programs and services to taxpayers. This position reports to the Director of Corporate Services.
This position is responsible for the development, management and coordination of the City’s internal and external communications programs. Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing and coordinating the City’s public information programs, including print and non-print materials
- Working with staff to create a positive media presence including well-crafted public messaging
- Working collaboratively with all departments to develop communications strategies
- Developing and maintaining an engaging social media presence as well as managing content for the City’s social media platforms.
- Producing written communications including media releases, promotional materials, etc.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A diploma or degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other related discipline
- Related experience in a communications role, preferably with a municipal government, with specific experience in strategic corporate communications
- Extensive knowledge of communication principles and practices as they relate to strategic corporate communications, issues management and media relations
- Demonstrated ability in leading strategic and proactive communications and engagement initiatives
- Demonstrated ability in creating reports, corporate communications information, and presentations
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment requiring collaboration, commitment and creativity, as well as the ability to prioritize and meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication skills and the ability to write for different audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with all City departments, government officials, municipal and community partners, members of the public, the media, the business community and special interest groups
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
This is a temporary exempt position, that is expected to be 8 – 10 months in duration. A competitive salary is offered in addition to a comprehensive benefit package. Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by 4:30 pm on Friday, March 12, 2021:
Krista Bodin, Manager of Human Resources
City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8 Emailed to:
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
View Original Source Source