Manager, Mayor and Council Support Offices
Requisition ID: 22393
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Director of Business and Election Services, the Manager, Mayor and Council Support Offices is responsible for managing a team providing support to Mayor and Council. The position oversees the management of the financial accounting for Mayor and Council including the annual budget, invoicing, contracts, payroll, and HR matters.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the administrative team; responsible for recruitment and selection, mentoring and coaching, attendance and performance management, training and development.
- Overseas the day to day operations of the Council Support office and problem solves issues as they arise.
- Manages the budgets for Mayor and Council Support Offices.
- Reviews and approves daily and monthly expenses and ensure proper coding to Mayor and Councillors’ budgets.
- Prepares monthly reporting and year-end budget analysis.
- Reviews and prepares for approval of council expenses for Open Data release.
- Monitors and maintains all Purchasing card for the Mayor, Mayor’s Office staff and Councillors.
- Leads development and documentation of administrative processes and inspires a culture of continuous process improvement.
- Liaises with Payroll on all payroll matters including elected officials and political staff.
- Maintains the confidential personnel files of the Mayor and Council Support Offices.
- Oversees the transition of incoming/outgoing Mayor, Councillors, political support staff and City staff.
- Manages all consultant contracts in liaison with the respective consultant.
- Oversees the retrieval of records of Freedom of Information requests for the Mayor and Councillors Offices.
- Ensures consistent and documented records management practices department-wide as the Departmental Records Officer (DRO) for ACCS records management systems.
- Manages all travel arrangements and related expense forms for the Mayor and delegation adhering to City policy.
- Responsible for preparation and distribution process of internal staff departmental announcements and other relevant communications as required.
- Has oversight for office functions such as the management of personnel files, SAP time entry, security access, procures to pay processes, and approves eSAFs/eCAFs.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Certificate or diploma in business administration, and at least five years progressively more responsible administrative roles including supervision of staff and office management, preferably in a municipal environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong teamwork ethics, team building and networking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to promote a supportive, respectful and safe work environment.
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and deal with highly sensitive and confidential information in support of elected officials and senior management.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work, all while under pressure with constant interruptions and deliver/meet goals in a timely manner.
- Ability to create a vision with clear expectations for staff and provide leadership necessary to set performance goals and coach employees to achieve desired results.
- Ability to manage fast changing workloads and deliverables.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Possess knowledge of collective agreements to allow for effectively handling of labour and employee relations issues; knowledge of human resources practices.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Superior ability to use computer software such as MS Suite, VanDocs, SharePoint and SAP.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the Mayor
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2020
Application Close: October 30, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source