Competition No. 2020-42
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay and the South End, including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We are looking for an experienced, innovative and people-focused Manager, Buildings to oversee the operation and maintenance of municipal buildings and electrical systems. Reporting to the Director, Operations, the ideal candidate will have considerable experience managing public infrastructure and leading and empowering teams in a unionized work environment. They will also have a proven track record of achieving positive health and safety outcomes, engaging staff, driving departmental performance, demonstrating responsiveness to the public and striving for continuous improvement in service delivery.
Core responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- The planning, coordination, maintenance and implementation of all aspects of the Municipality’s buildings (excluding Fuller Lake Arena and the Cowichan Aquatic Centre) and electrical infrastructure. This includes the Municipal Hall, works yard, fire halls and water/sewer facilities and electrical systems.
- Ensuring all regulatory and compliance related inspections/documentation are completed and communicated to the proper jurisdictions.
- A sound knowledge of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s), Man-Machine Interfaces (MMI’s) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and related software, and other electronics.
- Developing and implementing preventive maintenance programs for mechanical and electrical systems and ensuring tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Overseeing the Municipality’s SCADA system, HVAC systems, janitorial services, building capital construction projects and building general maintenance programs.
- Preparing budget estimates and, in conjunction with purchasing staff, preparing requests for proposals and tender reports pertaining to building related repair, maintenance and renovation works including operating and capital repair works.
- Managing contracts and capital projects and preparing verbal and written reports.
- Participating in asset management planning and capital renewal processes to ensure building components are adequately inventoried, monitored and forecasted for repairs/replacement as required.
- Fostersing a sustainable energy management culture across all buildings through the Municipality’s portfolio. Identifying opportunities for energy reductions that support the GHG Environmental Plan and promoting awareness of conservation measures undertaken by the Municipality.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring and maintaining appropriate policies and procedures which support the effective operation of the department.
- Working with senior management to ensure appropriate workplace health and safety objectives are met and providing guidance regarding the planning and implementation of occupational health and safety initiatives.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Graduation from a university, institute of technology or college in a technical field related to this position, or completion of an apprenticeship and trade qualification recognized in BC with preference for an Interprovincial Red Seal.
- Eight (8) years of experience in a municipal building and electrical environment.
- Excellent financial management, project management, time management, organizational and computer skills.
- Applied knowledge of WorkSafeBC requirements, employee and labour relations principles and human rights as they relate to workplace accommodation.
- Strong verbal, written and problem solving skills with the ability to listen effectively and resolve the core issues.
- Proven collaborative and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and groups including government officials at all levels, businesses, community groups, Council, staff, and individual citizens.
- Ability to prepare and interpret comprehensive technical reports, plans, contract documents, statutes, standards and bylaws.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal infrastructure; including methods, practices, specifications, regulations and techniques.
- A solid understanding of current construction electrical codes and practices.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License; a satisfactory current driver’s abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. Friday, October 9, 2020
View Original Source Source