Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Manager, Building Inspection Services
NO. OF POSITIONS:
HOURS OF WORK:
37.5 hours per week*
Competitive Pay & Benefits Package
The City of New Westminster has an exciting opportunity for a forward thinking, inspirational and dynamic building professional to help guide our organization. You will be instrumental in helping our department to meet its strategic goals while balancing organizational and regulatory requirements all with a customer focused approach. If you possess exceptional leadership, judgement, change management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build effective working partnerships with key stakeholders including Council, the community, and staff, you would be an excellent candidate for this position.
Reporting to the Director, Development Services, you will work collaboratively with planning, licensing, engineering, fire inspection and bylaw enforcement staff to ensure that existing and new development aligns with City policies and regulatory requirements. You will lead and inspire a team of highly trained building and plumbing inspectors, plan reviewers, and support staff. You will be responsible for the development, administration, implementation, and enforcement of policies and regulations critical to both the protection of public health and safety and to the continued growth of the community. You will be a member of the Development Services leadership team, working to advance the City’s procedures and practices by improving, innovating and streamlining development and departmental administrative processes, and strategizing for the resourcing and implementation of core services and Council priorities.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a diploma or university degree in engineering, architecture, building technology, or other related discipline, and extensive building administrative experience including supervisory experience in a unionized environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- You have Certification (highest level available) as a Registered Building Official (RBO) or Building Code Qualified (BCQ) by the Building Officials Association of BC (BOABC) or you are a Certified Professional (CP).
- Trades certification, preferably in building or experience as a construction project manager would be an asset.
- If you have a Local Government Administration Certification, that would be an asset.
- You are eligible for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC) or Architectural Institute of BC (AIBC).
- You have extensive knowledge of all types of building construction, materials and methods.
- You have expert knowledge of the current BC Building and Plumbing Codes, Building Act and related municipal laws, bylaws, regulations, rules, policies, and building permit and inspection processes, together with good working knowledge of structural, civil, mechanical and electrical systems.
- You have knowledge of the Local Government Act, Land Titles Act, Fire Services Act, and Freedom of Information legislation, the Board of Variance and their associated procedures and regulations.
- You have the ability to accurately read and interpret complex plans, specifications, engineered designs, and technical reports.
- You have strong organizational skills and continually look at process and policy improvements to achieve regulatory requirements consistent with or better than industry best practices.
- You are looking to modernize/automate current business processes/practices in the best interest of the client through the use of the dynamic electronic software technologies currently available on the market today.
- You are an experienced and strong team leader with proven interpersonal and people management skills, including the ability to select, train, motivate, coach, direct and evaluate a team of professionals, and believe in setting clear expectations, holding people accountable and working collaboratively to achieve goals.
- You are driven to achieve positive customer experiences, you’re a tactical problem solver and you possess a track record of delivering a high level of quality and consistency to applicants, professionals, colleagues, Council and the public.
- You have the ability to express ideas effectively in writing and orally to staff, elected officials, stakeholders, and the general public, and when representing the department and City on a variety of internal and external committees and meetings.
- You have the ability to carry out administrative and technical research studies and prepare reports, correspondence, statistics, budgets and written policies and procedures.
- You have the ability to use technology to increase efficiencies in the work and you are proficient with Microsoft Office.
- You have the ability to successfully pass and maintain a satisfactory Police Information Check.
- You have a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence and willingness and ability to drive a vehicle for business purposes.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-94, by January 11, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: 604-527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada
View Original Source Source